Broader research

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Deliberate Grief
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Broader research

Post by Deliberate Grief »

TL;DR
More options for research.
What ?
Add more research in the laboratory.
Example given here:
  1. Extending the speed of belts
  2. Increasing the speed of vehicles (Trains, cars, tanks, etc.)
  3. Increasing radar reveal and detection range, while also pinging what enemy it's and how many in total there are
  4. Increase the electricity grid, using less electricity poles than normal which decreases the consumption of resources and is more reliable
  5. Increase wall HP, making it, visually, thicker than normal
  6. Adding spikes on the walls that damages biters. This doesn't affect spitters or worms
  7. Corrosive/Explosive resistance: Damage reduction to buildings
  8. Fusion reactor for constructive/worker robots for extended durability and speed at the cost of resources
    Add a main base, including 4 automatic mini-turrets on the roof for self-reliability (This is where you can set your respawn) (Sub bases has no defenses, resource efficient: Creating more spawn points)
  9. Increasing equipment grid, adding more space for modules in armor or spidertron
  10. Faster sector scanner progress for Radio
Why ?
Makes it more interesting and fun for short, mid & late-game experiences.

To me? The research tab is lacking in creativity or has less broader options for individual objects. I think, with a little bit of imagination, people can create more, and maybe, better research availability, creating ingenious ways to improve the income and outcome of certain events.
Last edited by Deliberate Grief on Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:36 pm, edited 7 times in total.

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Broader research

Post by valneq »

Have you had a look at the mod portal?
People came up with the craziest ideas for introducing more research.
Either just straight upgrades to existing things, or re-writing the entire gameplay experience.

Deliberate Grief
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

valneq wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:21 pm
Have you had a look at the mod portal?
People came up with the craziest ideas for introducing more research.
Either just straight upgrades to existing things, or re-writing the entire gameplay experience.
Yes, I understand there are some mods in this game that can improve it. There are just too many vanilla servers that I'm playing. Public or with my friends, modding is something I never had in the back of my mind.

This post is more for improving the vanilla version for new and experienced players.

Some mods tend to be old as well, so they aren't in the current version of Factorio which is a bummer, but that's just why I wanted to create this thread so it can be available for everyone. It is enjoyment, and it creates more purposes for players to play Factorio.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Extending the speed of belts => mod realm
Increasing the speed of vehicles (Trains, cars, tanks, etc.) => mod realm
Increasing radar reveal and detection range, while also pinging what enemy it's and how many in total there are => mod realm
Increase the electricity grid, using less electricity poles than normal which decreases the consumption of resources and is more reliable. => What ? That really doesn't make sense. Power poles is the least resource intensive source of resources consumption in a base
Increase wall HP, making it, visually, thicker than normal. => mod realm
Adding spikes on the walls that damages biters. This doesn't affect spitters or worms. => mod realm
Corrosive/Explosive resistance: Damage reduction to buildings. => mod realm
Fusion reactor for constructive/worker robots for extended durability and speed at the cost of resources. => mod realm for sure, the devs will not alter the fragile balance between bots and belts. The early 2018 botbeltcalypse taught us that one doesn't simply change the balance between bots and belts.

Overall, your suggestions are not bad, they are just better suited to modding than to vanilla addition (my personal opinion of course).
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Deliberate Grief
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Koub wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:30 pm
Increase the electricity grid, using less electricity poles than normal which decreases the consumption of resources and is more reliable. => What ? That really doesn't make sense. Power poles is the least resource intensive source of resources consumption in a base

Overall, your suggestions are not bad, they are just better suited to modding than to vanilla addition (my personal opinion of course).
Sorry, I wasn't specific. There is no need to create more power poles once you completed this research, hence, using less resources and less power poles for people who wants to minimize a messy base or create a more authentic blueprint design.

They're all but examples, I just added another example in the list: Add a main base, including 4 automatic mini-turrets on the roof for self-reliability (This is where you can set your respawn) (Sub bases has no defenses, resource efficient: Creating more spawn points)

I'm using creativity to add some options onto the list. There is so many ways we can add in the research list and this is just the beginning. I'm just hoping that people understand it.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

The vanilla game will always be finite no matter how much you extend it with research bonuses on literally everything. What will you do next when you have your power pole with 64 tiles reach and your belt that runs at 1000 items/second?

The game creators went to massive trouble to create one of the best modding interfaces in the history of video games so that people could scratch these exact itches. Mods already exist for about 9/10 of the things you have suggested.

If you don't want to use mods for some reason then that's your choice. I mean, it's obviously the wrong choice, but hey, none of us are perfect.

Deliberate Grief
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Deadlock989 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:46 pm
The vanilla game will always be finite no matter how much you extend it with research bonuses on literally everything. What will you do next when you have your power pole with 64 tiles reach and your belt that runs at 1000 items/second?

The game creators went to massive trouble to create one of the best modding interfaces in the history of video games so that people could scratch these exact itches. Mods already exist for about 9/10 of the things you have suggested.

If you don't want to use mods for some reason then that's your choice. I mean, it's obviously the wrong choice, but hey, none of us are perfect.
Create a new game like usual? People will find new and better ways to improve their factory. That's all it's about. Being efficient.

Don't get me wrong, I love them for creating such a unique idea for people to mod their video game, but it doesn't work sometimes when people don't change their mods from the old version of Factorio to the latest version, neglecting it and its intend.

It's not a wrong choice, it's that some people don't accomodate with the use of modifications of Factorio. Nothing wrong with that. I mostly go to public servers that has the most players and these players are mostly in vanilla servers. I join them to have fun, don't you?

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Deliberate Grief wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:10 pm
I mostly go to public servers that has the most players and these players are mostly in vanilla servers. I join them to have fun, don't you?
No. I haven't played a game of vanilla Factorio since 2018.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”