Ladders

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

kwiz
Inserter
Inserter

Ladders

Post by kwiz »

This may seem a little low-tech in a game with flying logistic drones, but how about making ladders? I can not count the number of times I have been making a compact factory, and had to delete several things in my way to modify part of it. My solution to this would be a ladder item (made of a few iron sticks maybe?) that would be placed on top of other items (an updated graphic and maybe you could simply replace the item code with a similar code that doesn't have collisions enabled). In the event of "destroying" the item, either you could go with both items being returned, or if the cost is low you could only return the base item and not the ladder to discourage the widespread use of ladders somewhat. You could also have them be made of steel and discourage widespread use through costliness (the slightly higher tech tree requirement would also probably make sense). Also, a solution to allow characters to pass over/through defensive walls would be nice (call me crazy, but...a door?).

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Ladders

Post by ssilk »

I think I can answer this so:
It is part of the game to make paths, and like in real factories, it is planned to have "catwalks" over the factories. And as long, as this doesn't exist I mean it is not a real need to make the stuff extremely compact, that this is needed.

https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... ?f=6&t=722

A door was also requested any time, you can help that out by placing very fast belts there, so that the creepers take some while to walk through the entrance... :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Hi-Torque
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Ladders

Post by Hi-Torque »

Hello,

Just to chime in, I like the ideas of the OP (although my factories are rather spread out) and I especially agree with the ssilk's post here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=722. That sums up my feelings exactly, especially in regards to mouse operations.

Does anyone remember the rather ancient game "Free Enterprise"? The game art had some interesting depictions of factory machinery and tooling.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”