[1.0.0] Handle negative progress catching up

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

DeadMG
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[1.0.0] Handle negative progress catching up

Post by DeadMG »

When I click to join a multiplayer game, first I see the "downloading save" progress bar, which completes as normal. Then I see the catching up progress bar. However the "catching up" progress bar is literally going down, rather than up.

The issue here is not around the actual progress bar going down; this is caused by a glitch on my own system where the CPU speed is capped at 500MHz instead of 4GHz for some reason. However given a large enough game with a more powerful server it's possible this could affect more normal situations.

The game should have some kind of escape mechanism for the client joining games which are faster than they are, either notifying the client that they're too slow and bailing out, reducing speed on the server, etc. Alternatively, allow the client to simply save multiplayer games directly without actually joining them.

Impatient
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [1.0.0] Handle negative progress catching up

Post by Impatient »

I recall a feature request being made for this somewhen in the past.

and another thing: when your client saved the map, it is stored somewhere in the factorio install folders. so you can get ahold of it, if you want. I think i did this myself. I think i recall, that the saved map only stays for a short period of time. it four sure is deleted when the client caught up. maybe it already is deleted after the map is loaded. in that case you might need to use ALT-F4 to prevent factorio from deleting it. hope this helps to download all those megabases.

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

I’m pretty sure you can press escape and then quit game to exit the joining process.

This should probably be moved to implemented.
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

AmericanPatriot wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:34 pm
I’m pretty sure you can press escape and then quit game to exit the joining process.

This should probably be moved to implemented.
That is not what the suggetion is for, the idea is for the game automatically handling it (at least notifying the user of it) in some way.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Jap2.0 wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:54 pm
That is not what the suggetion is for, the idea is for the game automatically handling it (at least notifying the user of it) in some way.
Do you think the suggestion is that anytime the catching up progress goes down, it should be abandoned as a lost cause?
I thought it was for an option to quit if the player didn’t want to wait.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

AmericanPatriot wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:58 pm
Jap2.0 wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:54 pm
Do you think the suggestion is that anytime the catching up progress goes down, it should be abandoned as a lost cause?
I thought it was for an option to quit if the player didn’t want to wait.
The OP appears to want either the game to notify the user, the server to slow down (which is probably not practicable, as it would require the server to maintain a lowered UPS for the entire time that user is connected, or otherwise they would be dropped immediately), or alternatively a way to download a multiplayer map without fully joining a server.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Jap2.0 wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:01 pm
I guess I focused too much on the “escape mechanism” part.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”