Planes!

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

bert862
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Planes!

Post by bert862 »

It would be AWESOME if we could produce planes, the same way we produce tanks and cars. I presume it would be more advanced, but it bothers me so much that there's a flight technology and we couldn't build a plane - I spent 20 minutes searching to see if I was mistaken.

I love planes, and it would be the most amazing thing if it was put into vanilla, or if there was even a mod for it...

Planes <3

Mattyrogue
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Planes!

Post by Mattyrogue »

It's been suggested before and I believe there already exists mods relating to this (including a 'step by step modular bomber'.)

Personally, I would much rather see a small two-man Gyrocopter implemented into the game instead for the sheer purpose of traversing those otherwise-impassible lakes and rivers at the moment.

It would also fit the aesthetic and flow of the game a lot better too.

bert862
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bert862 »

Gyroscopes are a cool idea too - definitely more factorio like.

I'm just a 100% dedicated plane fan ;)

Zuzak
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Zuzak »

quote="Zuzak"]
desired code narrowed down to
render_layer = "air-object",
and/or
final_render_layer = "air-object",

Sadly, type car seems to be one of the harcoded ones, to lower-object
(layer narrowed down via editing wall corpse final_render_layer = "remnants", multiple times)
I think it very strange that type = corpse, decorative doodads, and smoke to be the only types not hardcoded
I messed around a bit with a few other entities and seems only objects that have render layer already in their code (corpses, doodads, and smoke) seem to respond to changing it. Adding it to one without gets ignored.
@the awesome Factorio makers:
render_layer =, or final_render_layer = needs to be readable under type car.
Actually, why is it not read/applied by all entity types?
please expose/make it work for all entity types. A default is fine, but if an entity has it as an override, it should do so. It is the last hurdle to custom flying objects.

as for others looking at making flying/hovering custom vehicles, feel free to look at all my comments in the entity file in Zoomer mod. Might save ya some time.

aRatNamedSammy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by aRatNamedSammy »

gyrocopter... great idea :D i agreee on this, not a plane cause it will required an airstrip...
except if Devs plan it for kind of long distance mining, to bring ressources faster than with the train when the distances starts to be really big,
so, a whole automated airport, similar as the train, for freight,
Teeth for Two (so sorry my bad english)

tobsimon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by tobsimon »

A gyrocopter will also need an airstrip. The top rotor is not powered, only the one in the back. It is not an helicopter.

A plane or gyrocopter could be steered just like the car. On the ground you shouldn't drive too fast. Because if you do, you loose manuverability and start take off, unless you slamm on the brakes. If you accelerate more, the plane/gyrocopter takes off and you regain manuverability, now in the air. There you fly with constant speed, without the need to hold acceleration. (If you do, you fly faster, but burn more fuel.) Landing works similarily by braking.

You would absolutely need a big enough absolutely debris free airstrip, since accidents are very likely fatal. Also keep an eye on your fuel level.

I would love a plane to scout for distant resources. Just breezing over the forrests and in relative safety from the (enraged) biters, spitters may do you harm though.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Gyrocopter sounds like the perfect aircraft for factorio

Anton_K
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Anton_K »

I would vote for helicopters :)