Show radar coverage when using a blueprint

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

arl85
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Show radar coverage when using a blueprint

Post by arl85 »

TL;DR
Display radar coverage preview when placing a blueprint that contains a radar.

What ?
Placing a single radar (ghost or not) shows a blue preview of its coverage on the minimap (top right) - it is useful if you want perfect coverage without overlaps - but when you place a blueprint containing a radar this preview is not shown.

Basically it was already reported as a bug but it was explained it is not a bug but a limitation in order to optimize performance, even if I don't think radar is an item that is usually present in multiple copies in a blueprint.
In OT it's also suggested to adopt the same approach used for turret range blueprinting, with an explicit option for toggling it.

I hope it's acceptable to repost the request here, in the suggestions section, in order to avoid it being lost in the "not a bug" section.
Why ?
Basically, QOL, because right now you can obtain the same exact result placing the radar first (coverage displayed) and then placing blueprint.
Do you need help taking screenshots in-game? have a look to my guide to calculate screenshot dimensions

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Show radar coverage when using a blueprint

Post by ssilk »

See also
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=64172 show range of ghost builds

similar, but just for roboport coverage.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

JasonC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Show radar range in blueprints

Post by JasonC »

Please show the blue radar range square for radars in blueprints (and copy/paste) when placing.
Took a break from 0.12.29 to 0.17.79, and then to ... oh god now it's 1.something. I never know what's happening.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged into older thread with same suggestion.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

JasonC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JasonC »

arl85 wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:09 am
Why ?
Basically, QOL, because right now you can obtain the same exact result placing the radar first (coverage displayed) and then placing blueprint.
Noting that this is highly difficult if the paste / bp contains multiple radars.
[Koub] Merged into older thread with same suggestion.
Thanks, Koub.
Took a break from 0.12.29 to 0.17.79, and then to ... oh god now it's 1.something. I never know what's happening.

Oniguro
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Oniguro »

+1

I have a blueprint which contains a radar, several solar panels and accumulators that will keep it active fulltime.
Placing it however, will always have to done in two steps, radar first to check the coverage and then the blueprint afterwards.
As mentioned, this is just a QoL thing.

@JasonC, you mentioned "this is highly difficult if the paste / bp contains multiple radars" but is that not also the case with roboports then?

JasonC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JasonC »

Oniguro wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:11 pm
@JasonC, you mentioned "this is highly difficult if the paste / bp contains multiple radars" but is that not also the case with roboports then?
You mean if the paste contains roboports? 🤷‍♂️, probably! I don't have a lot of pastes with roboports; but if roboport connections don't show in pastes then they probably should be shown, too!

Btw, I also have one of those little radar outpost bp's, that's actually what prompted me to make the suggestion, haha. I've also got a bp with 2 radars spaced a radar range apart that I use a lot too, to make covering large areas easier.

And actually, btw, my solar/radar bp has landfill tiles in it, which is another case where the "workaround" of placing the radar first isn't that great: You can't place radar ghosts on water, so you can't place the radar first without dropping landfills, which is kinda extra inconvenient.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”