Give Roboports 2 module slots, which can be fit with additional roboports

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Thinkingwithportals
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Give Roboports 2 module slots, which can be fit with additional roboports

Post by Thinkingwithportals »

TL;DR

Give roboports 2 module slots, which can be filled with 2 roboports.
This would have the effect of increasing charging slots, but with concomitant increases in power consumption, same as having 2 roboports occupying that one space. 1 robo-module = 8xSlots, 8MW max consumption. 2 robo-module = 12xSlots, 12MW max consumption.
No changes on bot storage capacity.
Further details
In dedicated bot bases, and in areas of high throughput, the limit of bots is usually roboports. However roboports are one of the largest buildings, and very space intensive in the lategame bot bases, leading to thousands of bots waiting to charge.
We already have stacking roboports in the roboport power armor modules, which allows up to 96 bots (not realistic to sustain, but that's the cap) to charge on 1 tile that's your engineer.
Intended Effects
This change would allow bots to become more concentrated, reducing space consumption, but still requiring the same amount of power.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Give Roboports 2 module slots, which can be fit with additional roboports

Post by Serenity »

For a roboport rework I'd prefer breaking down the different roboport functions. And in addition to the regular port have completely separate buildings for charging and network extension. Those can then be smaller. Like 2x2 and 1x1

netmand
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by netmand »

I've always thought it was funny that we could give ourselves 12 charging slots in our personal roboports (by mounting 3 in our modular armor) which is a 16th of the space a normal factory large beast-sized roboport with only has 4 charging ports with no ability to expand.

I've also wondered why we can't put efficiency modules in roboports. In my late-games roboports are by far the most power hungry items in my power grid.

I believe the original post's ideas hints improvements in the right direction.

Yoyobuae
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Yoyobuae »

netmand wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:44 pm
I've always thought it was funny that we could give ourselves 12 charging slots in our personal roboports (by mounting 3 in our modular armor) which is a 16th of the space a normal factory large beast-sized roboport with only has 4 charging ports with no ability to expand.
I suspect roboports were balanced against express transport belts. Using robots and roboports seems to take similar amount of space as express transport belts to achieve similar throughput.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”