Enable "Q" keypress to work in interfaces too

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Arrcher
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Enable "Q" keypress to work in interfaces too

Post by Arrcher »

TL;DR
Enable "Q" keypress to work in enterfaces too, like chests or machines

What ?
Pressing Q on any item will select it from your inventory or a ghost of it.
Make this work with items stored in chests or inputs or outputs of machines too.
Why ?
I'm switching all circuit wires of my assemblers in my mall / Hub / Make Everything to logistic conditions and putting storage chests instead of iron / silver ones.
I want to set filter so either I click the empty slot, search for the item in the all items interface, or pick what's already in the chest, set the filter, put the stack back in storage.
Let me just use "Q" on said item as I do everywhere else and everytime in Factorio.
s.jpg
s.jpg (113.89 KiB) Viewed 1381 times
Wires allow me to limit production, but taking the item from the chest to set the filter makes the inserter add more to the chest because I picked them up.
Let me "Q" it instead.
Thank you.

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Enable "Q" keypress to work in interfaces too

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

I doubt this will be added because it is so edge case and might be intrusive in other situations.
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

Arrcher
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Arrcher »

AmericanPatriot wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:30 pm
I doubt this will be added because it is so edge case and might be intrusive in other situations.
What kind of case that would be ?
Q is like the color picker in Photoshop, I see no reason for it not to work in interfaces aswell.

I feel like it's an easy dev fix but of course I'm far from being sure.

It's totally intuitive to use Q wherever you see an item, it would be a good QoL improvment at least for me.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Let’s think this through: when it works with the inventory, it logically needs to work so with any inventory, with quickbar, with logistics, with ... what did I forget? And where does it make sense or not?
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Arrcher
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Arrcher »

ssilk wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:30 am
Let’s think this through: when it works with the inventory, it logically needs to work so with any inventory, with quickbar, with logistics, with ... what did I forget? And where does it make sense or not?
You seem to list all the places the devs have to implement it specifically, then we could think it the other way around : item slots are "Q" enabled by design (by implementation), so basically it just works everywhere.
About it making sense or not, I see no reason for it not to make sense, I mean just like a color picker, every one knows how to use "Q" and no one would be like "wth I pressed Q and it picked the item I was hovering what's wrong with this game" :lol: Pretty sure it's the other way around :)

SirHannes
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by SirHannes »

I agree. I don't find the UI ideal. There are so many items and more times I repeat clicking on them.
If I understand the thread starter right with his photoshop example, this would be a really good feature to me too.
When I ask for features or improvements, it's because I like this game and I think, others could like it too.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Ok, but photoshop is a good example: you cannot pick colors from inside the palette window. Only from the picture. AFAIK.

Not that I think this is a bad idea, but not sure, if this is really useful.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”