Mod Listing Upon Load Save Game

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

rlerner
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Mod Listing Upon Load Save Game

Post by rlerner »

I find that when I start a game that required a mod in the past, after I delete or upgrade a mod, it will no longer operate (no surprise). But, Factorio just crashes instead of listing the mods required to run the save (and versions).

Maybe this is something that can be made in the future (a dependency walker of sorts for Factorio).

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Mod Listing Upon Load Save Game

Post by kovarex »

Hello,
the game certainly shouldn't crash when you turn mod off (You wouldn't be able to get rid of the mod otherwise ^^)
The correct behaviour is, that all entities/items/recipes/technologies specified by the mod just disappear.
The listing of mods that are active in the save (including versions) is already included in the save, so we can add the information to the load map preview info, and show if some mod is missing or have different version, so the player knows, that something is missing and might disappear.

P.S. During this month, I was testing with several mods active (for the first time) and sometimes I deactivated some mod. I fixed several critical bugs that crashed the game when some mod was removed, so these problems will most probably be fixed in the next 0.5.0 release.

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Mod Listing Upon Load Save Game

Post by MF- »

Yup, MinecraftForge-style warning "This game was created with mods XYZ, do you want to risk losing items?" would be probably appropriate.
If it wasn't resource-intensive, perhaps the list of the saves could be crawled and problematic saves marked with color or italics or something.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”