Maintenance/ Construction Logistic Chest

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

timsheff
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Maintenance/ Construction Logistic Chest

Post by timsheff »

So on my current map, I've been playing for 100+ hrs with an extremely bot-heavy end-game base. I use blueprints for almost everything including railroad expansion. I have everything connected to one massive logistics network and so far it works OK. The problem is that bots have to grab items from my main supply depot and carry them all the way to the edges of my rail network to place them. By the time the construction bots arrive, the ghosts have expired. I have tried various workarounds that are all somewhat problematic. The most successful so far is using a train to deliver items to a storage chest, but logistic bots keep stealing things.

My suggestion is this: a new logistics chest which can request items to be delivered by logistics bots and will supply those items only to construction bots. This will allow me to get materials where they are needed without having my logistic bots steal them.

Khyron
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Maintenance/ Construction Logistic Chest

Post by Khyron »

This has been discussed at great length in a number of threads. One I remember is here

Short version:
  • Your suggestion is in service of something that is beyond the scope of the current game.
  • You can make smaller logistics areas and connect them together with rail.

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

It's a good idea, I like it. If you want to solve this right now, try some mods =] They are fun!

timsheff
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by timsheff »

Khyron wrote:This has been discussed at great length in a number of threads. One I remember is here

Short version:
  • Your suggestion is in service of something that is beyond the scope of the current game.
  • You can make smaller logistics areas and connect them together with rail.
Well, the problem is well known, but it seems like something like what I suggest would be simpler than some of the other proposed solutions. I'm not sure exactly what you mean by 'beyond the scope.' I'm aware that endgame content is coming, but even then most of the fun for me would be in expanding and building large bases. I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

I have made smaller areas connected by rails, but they can't offer the flexibility that a universal logistics system can offer. With one universal system, I can place a requester chest at an outpost and it will (eventually) be supplied. Small ore deposits are easily mined by outputting into active provider chests. Over very large distances, trains are still better for moving a large, steady volume, but the logistics system is better for everything else except construction. Blueprints seem designed to allow for 'mega construction,' but once you pass a certain point, the ghosts start to expire before the bots can place them. I know there are ways to work around this limitation in-game, but if I want to construct a large base with centralized assembly and storage, something like I suggest is needed. Factorio is a game about automation: once I design and construct a system, it should work.

SHiRKiT wrote:It's a good idea, I like it. If you want to solve this right now, try some mods =] They are fun!
Are there any mods that do this? I've gone through them and haven't seen any that address the issue. If something like this is possible through modding, I might have to learn and write one myself.

EDIT: Grammar.

DukeAl
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DukeAl »

timsheff wrote:
SHiRKiT wrote:It's a good idea, I like it. If you want to solve this right now, try some mods =] They are fun!
Are there any mods that do this? I've gone through them and haven't seen any that address the issue. If something like this is possible through modding, I might have to learn and write one myself.
MoIndustries has a research that expands blueprints to 10 minutes if I remember correctly. Maybe that would be a short term solution for your problem.
Link: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =14&t=2778

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

While I don't disagree that a Construction chest, where only construction robots may take things from it would be a useful addition, there are other solutions.

1. Extend the ghost image time: There has also been a sugestion to do this, as well as the options to turn off ghost image expiration.
2. Faster Robots

Both of these options can be modded in. One such mod that does is my Logistics mod. https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =51&t=5982
DyTech also made such a change in his mods, but I have no idea if it is even in his latest set of mods, let alone which it would be in.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

I dropped by to say this:
- bobs mods does faster robots
- some mods can extend blueprint duration
- PocketBots transforms YOU into a roboport!
- Logistic Wagons makes trains wagons logistic chests!

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”