Better victory GUI

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Néomorphos
Inserter
Inserter

Better victory GUI

Post by Néomorphos »

TL;DR
The victory GUI that pops after launching first rocket shows some useless stuff and could show the player end-game possibilities or achievements.
What ?
Imo, three things could be made better :

1. More rewarding
Writing "Victory!" in big letters in the middle of the screen would be better than a little "Victory!" hidden on top of a big list. Achievements gotten during this game of Factorio could also be printed. EDIT : + credits

2. Show what's next
Instead of telling that Factorio is finished, the victory screen could show the possibilities available to the player : "What is your next personnal goal? From now on, you can go for mega-base, or try to complete achievements". The actual victory screen kinda hides the possibilities.

3. Remove useless stuff
Imho some stuff doesn't belong to the victory screen, like kills on rails or labs, etc.
Why ?
When finishing a game of Factorio, the victory GUI pops. It contains a "Victory!" message, the time played, and a list of all the things you killed. While it is good to know how many trees or spitters I killed, knowing i destroyed 11 wooden boxes isn't very interesting. On top of that, the victory screen actually states that the game is finished. Therefore, it kinda tells the player that Factorio as a whole is finished, which I guess is not desired.

(related to viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61997&p=375079&hili ... ry#p375079 )
Last edited by Néomorphos on Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

netmand
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Better victory GUI

Post by netmand »

yes yes! and add credit roll, background depictions of significant events such as rail, combat bots, roboports, etc.
and as a teaser, one last stat; how much of the map has been revealed/explored.

Néomorphos
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Néomorphos »

netmand wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:44 pm
yes yes! and add credit roll, background depictions of significant events such as rail, combat bots, roboports, etc.
and as a teaser, one last stat; how much of the map has been revealed/explored.
credit roll could be good ,yes :) (adding it in my message) the map is infinite tho, so this stat doesn't exist :'(

Stringweasel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Stringweasel »

I want to revivie this thread, because the Victory Screen doesn't really fit with the rest of the game. The game is focussed on automation, not conflict. As Néomorphos mentioned, knowing how much wooden boxes you destroyed isn't very exciting and a bit of an anti-climax. There are much cooler stastistics that can added relatively easily with minimal calculations - which can bring a lot of satisfaction to the player.
Suggested statistics to show:
  • Total power produced in Joule
  • Total distance of transport belts placed in kilometers
  • Distance covered by train tracks in kilometers
  • Amount of terrain discovered in square kilometers
  • Total length of pipe networks
  • Total amount of player deaths
  • Total pollution generated
  • Total raw resources consumed
  • Amount of machines currently placed
  • Maximum Power Consumption of factory (theoritical or measured)
  • Amount of spidertrons currently in use
  • Amount of trains in use
  • Amount of time hand crafted
  • Area of surface scanned
  • Amount of items created
  • Total amount of science packs consumed
Some harder to calculate statistics:
  • Amount of capsules thrown
  • Distance walked (would be hard to track, but really cool)
  • Distance drove (would be hard to track, but really cool)
I think things like these would be much more fun to look at on the Victory Screen. Currently people mostly only gain satisfaction the amount of time played. The rest are just numbers. But if I see that I currently have 2000km of transport belts placed that sounds epic. Or that I have 500 trains is use. These numbers grow very fast when building big, without the player realizing.
Last edited by Stringweasel on Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Alt-F4 Author | Factorio Modder
Mods: Hall of Fame | Better Victory Screen | Fluidic Power | Biter Power | Space Spidertron | Spidertron Dock | Weasel's Demolition Derby

Stringweasel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Stringweasel »

Just a bump for this thread with the reason: The game is focussed on automation, not conflict. why are we shown conflict stats and not automation stats. :)
Mods: Hall of Fame | Better Victory Screen | Fluidic Power | Biter Power | Space Spidertron | Spidertron Dock | Weasel's Demolition Derby

Amarula
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Amarula »

How about a victory accomplishment slideshow/video highlighting what has been achieved so far? Yes to emphasizing automation stats over combat. Yes to closing with a panorama of future possibilities! Maybe fireworks and dancing spidertrons to celebrate. And it could be fun, maybe Computron saying in a worried voice "I think your ratios are off!" or a dying biter crawling on screen to say "We'll... be.... .... back!" And if there was some way to export it so you could share it on social media :lol:
My own personal Factorio super-power - running out of power.

Stringweasel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Stringweasel »

I made a mod to implement some an example victory screen with more focus on automation and some interesting information. I think it came out quite nicely :)

Stringweasel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Stringweasel »

A small note to add, if this gets added to vanilla I think it's important that mods need to be able to add (and remove?) stats in the GUI. Some really cool things have already been added to Better Victory Screen by mods which I think will be really fun for the player to see in modded games.

Amarula
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Amarula »

Yes to supporting mod specific victory... stuff... Also how about giving the player some control? If you are on a death world, you might want to see more kill data, evolution, nests spawned, nests destroyed... If you are doing a challenge like no belts or no bots, the data could show if you achieved that, or how close you came... so many possibilities...
My own personal Factorio super-power - running out of power.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”