[1.0.0] Burner Mining Drill output position is inconsistant

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Dr. Walrus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[1.0.0] Burner Mining Drill output position is inconsistant

Post by Dr. Walrus »

A burner mining drill is inconsistent in different rotations as to what lane it will place its output onto when dropping onto an underground belt that is facing towards it. If the burner mining drill is facing north and the underground belt is facing towards it, the product from the drill will output onto the lane of the underground belt furthest from the middle of the drill. If the drill is facing one of the other 3 directions (facing west in the attached picture), it will output onto the lane closest to the middle of the burner drill. The behavior is also exhibited on non-underground belts facing the burner mining drill too, but that doesn't matter since the belt can't go anywhere. I didn't notice any other inconsistencies if the belt faced any direction other than directly at the burner drill.

Picture of the inconsistency

Electric mining drills and inserters do not exhibit this behavior and will output to a consistent lane in all rotations. Because almost nothing else in Factorio changes behavior due to changes in rotation, I would consider this a bug.

To be consistent with the behavior of electric mining drills and inserters, I think the behavior when the burner mining drill is facing north is the correct behavior, and the behavior during the other 3 directions should be changed.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.0.0] Burner Mining Drill output position is inconsistant

Post by Rseding91 »

Moving to ideas and suggestions. I can't remember anyone ever saying burner drills were supposed to function in a specific way when dropping items on belts. They just take the drop-vector and stick the item on the belt at that location.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

Rseding91 wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:29 pm
They just take the drop-vector and stick the item on the belt at that location.
To a naive reader, this sounds like how other miners and inserters also work. What is it that makes burner miners behave differently from other things that seem to have a drop-vector? Is it just that the vector is in a different place relative to the tile, such that the results aren't rotation-consistent?

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

sparr wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:02 pm
Rseding91 wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:29 pm
They just take the drop-vector and stick the item on the belt at that location.
To a naive reader, this sounds like how other miners and inserters also work. What is it that makes burner miners behave differently from other things that seem to have a drop-vector? Is it just that the vector is in a different place relative to the tile, such that the results aren't rotation-consistent?
Burner mining drills are 2x2 so probably.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

Looking at the prototypes...
Inserters, burner miners, and electric miners all consistently have output positions on the midline of the adjacent tile.

Inserters drop 0.70 tiles away from the edge of the inserter
Electric miners drop .35 tiles away from the edge of the miner
Burner miners drop .30 tiles away from the edge of the miner

Maybe that .05 difference is the cause of the inconsistency here? Was it intentional during development, or just two different entity designers with the same goal choosing slightly different constants that end up having different emergent results?

Regardless... Almost everything in the game behaves consistently at 90 degree rotations. A few items like pumpjacks and storage tanks are still consistent with 180 degree rotations. Having just one entity in the whole game that behaves one way in three orientations and a different way in the fourth orientation smells like a bug to me.

kirazy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kirazy »

sparr wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:06 pm
Electric miners drop .35 tiles away from the edge of the miner
Burner miners drop .30 tiles away from the edge of the miner

Maybe that .05 difference is the cause of the inconsistency here? Was it intentional during development, or just two different entity designers with the same goal choosing slightly different constants that end up having different emergent results?
It doesn't make a difference, I just tested it. When you change the burner output vector to 1.35 it still outputs the same. The issue probably lies in however the 0.5 x-shift is moving the output to the center of the tile.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”