PPC and ARM build?

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

flower
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

PPC and ARM build?

Post by flower »

Hello,

with the new PowerPC10 announce i really want to leave x86 and use ppc as my workstation.
but... i love playing factorio... i'd love if you could make a ppc (and maybe arm - for others) builds.

imho factorio would benefit from ppc as they have a higher ram-bandwidth

kind regards

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: PPC and ARM build?

Post by Koub »

Don't count on it. I'm not saying "never", but I am convinced that it will be never.

And I'm even more convinced about ARM because you're probably the 10th person to require an ARM build :
viewtopic.php?p=292168#p292168

But the devs' answer has always been the same :
viewtopic.php?p=231701#p231701
viewtopic.php?p=119286#p119286
viewtopic.php?p=373448#p373448
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

flower
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by flower »

their reasoning seems to be performance... so ppc should be possibly.
i just keep hoping :)

blahfasel2000
Inserter
Inserter

Post by blahfasel2000 »

flower wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:00 pm
their reasoning seems to be performance... so ppc should be possibly.
i just keep hoping :)
That, but also that ensuring determinism for the lock-step multiplayer architecture is already difficult enough as it is across different operating systems on the same CPU architecture. Bringing in another architecture would make this even more difficult, to the point that in one of the replies they hinted that if it happened there'd probably be no multiplayer interoperability between architectures, so someone with a PPC could only play multiplayer with others that have PPC as well (and the server would have to be PPC as well!) and so on. So I wouldn't hold my breath.

theolderbeholder
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by theolderbeholder »

As someone who administers POWER servers for a living I'd suggest you'd better be have a second look at one of the current P9 workstations and then maybe reconsider. These beasts are very expensive. And loud. Additionally, the VGA adapters available do not really cater gaming.
Even a lowly S912 with a single, low clock active core, 32GBytes of memory and a NVMe module will easily run into 10k EUR/USD/CHF.

flower
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by flower »

theolderbeholder wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:14 pm
As someone who administers POWER servers for a living I'd suggest you'd better be have a second look at one of the current P9 workstations and then maybe reconsider. These beasts are very expensive. And loud. Additionally, the VGA adapters available do not really cater gaming.
Even a lowly S912 with a single, low clock active core, 32GBytes of memory and a NVMe module will easily run into 10k EUR/USD/CHF.
thank you :)

for graphics: i only need 4xWQHD@120Hz - i will have a look if this is supported.

Power9 is an option: yes. I like the bigger ram bandwidth with Power10 though. i'll see

i dont game much... but i dont want to live without factorio anymore. main reason to leave x86 is that ME crap and i just strongly prefer open hardware.
and imho nothing beats aix lpar's for vm's

well as this is probably available early 2022 i still have some time to make an educated decision.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”