Spidertron Cargo

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

rcp27
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Spidertron Cargo

Post by rcp27 »

It seems to me that the spidertron has some great potential as a mobile construction helper as well as combat machine. It seem to me that a limitation to its capabilities, though, is that the player has to interact with it directly to fill its inventory space. Something like an item for its equipment grid to allow it to have some logistics request/trash slot capability would give it the capability of operating a bit more independently of the player. Perhaps this limitation is a deliberate design choice, but I thought I'd bring it up anyway.

deltatag
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Spidertron Cargo

Post by deltatag »

This mod does partially what you are asking for I believe: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Equipment ... sticModule

However, I believe vanilla support would be an excellent addition. My proposal would be a piece of equipment similar to the belt immunity equipment, which when added to an equipment grid, gives that entity (whatever it may be) a logistic grid tab. This could also be done without an additional piece of equipment and only with a roboport in the first place (although implies needing onboard logistic robots, which probably shouldn't be required and a lot bigger than a 1x1).

The mod fails to fill the ammo slots of the spidertron and the interface (reserving with filters) is not elegant either. A native support of this would be really just be a smaller logistics tab. Which places the delivered items correctly into the entity. Also this would allow, combined with other mods for equipment grids, to have self loading wagons for example.

Vykromod
Inserter
Inserter

Spidertron logistic slots.

Post by Vykromod »

I gotta say, I absolutely love the addition of the Spidertron. Very amazing! Even though its remote is a bit useless (courtesy of it getting stuck on all lakes, because it won't pathfind around them - Please change that!).

There's an amazing potential with this mechanized arachnophobia, but I feel like some elements of the puzzle are lacking at the moment. I love using it to deliver items when I'm out in the field away from my train network, but this only works if I load items onto it beforehand, and either have to be amazing at predicting exactly what I'll happen to run out of, or cram its inventory full of every single item I might need (besides having to babysit the Spidertron on the map, so that it doesn't hit a lake, but that's another thing).

Here's a suggestion: Please make it able to pull items from the logistic network, like the player can with their inventory logistic slots. Not only would it boost its utility and practicality, but it would make it WAY less tedious to re-arm it with rockets (especially since this thing eats through its ammo reserves like mad).

Additionally, it would synergize well with the fact that this thing supports personal roboports. Honestly, the fact that it can build stuff by using a mobile roboport makes it a no brainer that it should have some sort of a way to automatically resupply items.

It actually feels outright unnatural that the only way to fill items onto an endgame semi-autonomous vehicle is manually, in a game where the whole point is that you can automate almost everything.
Last edited by Vykromod on Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

conn11
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Spidertron logistic slots.

Post by conn11 »

Good Suggestion.
In fact needed such, that it is already on the roadmap.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged into older topic with same/similar suggestion.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

StormWhisper
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by StormWhisper »

It would be good to resupply ammo slots from spider's inventory. At least with help of construction drones.
upd And may be autosort inventory if possible. To me this Spidertron is like an extension of a player that lets you be in multiple places at once.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”