Logistic bot behavior (logistic zone and route)

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

TheoMarque
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Logistic bot behavior (logistic zone and route)

Post by TheoMarque »

TL;DR
Change delivering bot behavior when delivering items to character inventory
What ?
If player go away from logistic zone of roboport logistic bot (and slowdown) try to deliver to player inventory. No new requests for other items. Maybe give player few seconds for returning into logistic zone.
Second idea is changing how bots change flying directions, form sharpen angles to slightly curvier for better visual.

Why ?
When player avoid roboport logistic coverage, logistic robot immediately stop and dropping item in storage chest. It's annoying when you requesting big amounts of items produced very fast or very expensive. Situation is more annoying when storage chest is very far and you must wait for bot return or other bot pick next items from nearer provider/chests and previous can lay forever in storage (for example centrifuges)

Yoyobuae
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Logistic bot behavior (logistic zone and route)

Post by Yoyobuae »

TheoMarque wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:07 pm
Second idea is changing how bots change flying directions, form sharpen angles to slightly curvier for better visual.
Straight line motion is computationally cheap. Curving, acceleration, etc, etc would increase the computational cost per bot which is a big no-no in Factorio.

TheoMarque
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TheoMarque »

But can be do on other core?
I know cons of this proposal about curving, but immediately stoping and returning bot with requested items beacause you leave logistic network area by only one tile.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

TheoMarque wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:56 pm
But can be do on other core?
I know cons of this proposal about curving, but immediately stoping and returning bot with requested items beacause you leave logistic network area by only one tile.
No, it cannot be done on another core. The algorithm is too simple:
Look, where direction of target is. Calculate line from current position to target. For each tick calculate position on that line multiplied by speed. This avoids recalculation for non-moving entities. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

TheoMarque
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TheoMarque »

A character is moving entity ;)

So, is not possible to change a behavior of bots delivering items when we go away from logistic zone of roboport? Construction bot behavior is much better, if we move and construction zone leave entity for deconstrucion, construction bot does not stop.

netmand
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by netmand »

One of the reasons why they created Buffer chests was to leverage them by placing them near key delivery areas to reduce logistic bot delivery distances for known delivery scenarios (i.e. restocking a players ammunition as they return from the field, resupply of outpost delivery trains).

The key to managing efficient delivery is to configure your factory to use the delivery priorities effectively. Improvements such as the one in the OP could have been probably been addressed with the proper placement of relevant chests.
ref: https://wiki.factorio.com/Logistic_netw ... _of_robots

TheoMarque
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TheoMarque »

I know about priorities, but is not a problem using both of chest and is ok, but storage chest contain more and more items. For example Steam turbine stack is only 10. If I requested 100 od this, bots picked, and if I leave logistic zone bots return steam turbines to storage chests (buffer chest are resuplied by production line). Of caourse i use logistic network and read contents but whole base will be like large spider web of cables.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”