Minimap Icons Indistinct

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

KatherineOfSky
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Minimap Icons Indistinct

Post by KatherineOfSky »

Some of the icons which border the minimap are indistinct and hard to figure out what they are for.

factorio_8I7vr4aEyp.png
factorio_8I7vr4aEyp.png (40.69 KiB) Viewed 1950 times

1. Blueprint Icon: I understand the idea of this one, but at 1440p, it's difficult to make out the empty squares, and it just doesn't work well as a represenation. Suggestion: the letters "BP", or an open grid.

2. The Bonuses Icon: The arrow's side tips are so tiny, they're almost invisible. I suggest a more robust looking arrowhead.

3. Farming Icon, represented by a bale of hay... :P Seriously, this does NOT look like it represents trains. I think it's meant to be a train track, but it's so blobby and rounded that it just doesn't visually work at all. At best it kinda looks like a mini-spreadsheet... or bale of hay... no joke. I suggest a clear train track "ladder" shape, or a tiny steam locomotive.

4. Logistics: the icon is clear, but every time I see it, I think "Phone coverage!" My association with that overlay is robots. That icon doesn't say "bots" to me. I much preferred the roboport icon because that's exactly what the coverage shows. I am aware that the Logistics system shows the contents of special chests, however, 99% of the functionality is performed by robots, whether constructing arrays or logi bots delivering stuff around.

5. Pollution. I understand the skull, but I think a smokestack emitting a few puffs of smoke might be more evocative. After all, the player doesn't die of pollution...
Tutorials, wild playthroughs, and more! https://www.youtube.com/@KatherineOfSky

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Minimap Icons Indistinct

Post by Koub »

I have to admit I agree. When I need to mouse over an icon to figure what it's meaning, the icon does not fulfill its primary mission.

For 1, I agree with the "BP" caption. As an alternative, one can find things that tell "blueprint" with a google search for blueprint icon. The current one is nice, but not very explicit.

For 2, I have no idea, there is nothing that says "buffs" in my head.

For 3 I suggest :
option 1
:mrgreen:
Well a more serious suggestion would be something like :
option 2
Also agree with 4, the old roboport icon (or a stylized roboport) would do the job better than the current phone coverage indicator.

The 5 would be more understandable with something looking like :
pollution
Actually, I went back to 0.17, and I could guess all icons without hovering over them (even if pollution is obvious to me because I know it's a red cloud on the map, I couldn't have guessed it by myself). The current icon set has traded functionality for stylish design.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

KatherineOfSky
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by KatherineOfSky »

For 2 I think an arrow is a good shape. "Bonus" is such an abstract, I'm not sure that there is a universal symbol for it.

ROFL on your first #3 suggestion! HAHAHAHA (Literally laughed out loud on that one!)
I agree on the second suggestion!

Your suggestion for 5 is exactly what I was thinking.
Actually, I went back to 0.17, and I could guess all icons without hovering over them (even if pollution is obvious to me because I know it's a red cloud on the map, I couldn't have guessed it by myself). The current icon set has traded functionality for stylish design.
Yes! Exactly! In 0.17, everything was easily recognizable!
Tutorials, wild playthroughs, and more! https://www.youtube.com/@KatherineOfSky

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I think the devs discussed it. Because I think if you make the suggested icons small you cannot longer see what they meant.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

ssilk wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:37 am
I think the devs discussed it. Because I think if you make the suggested icons small you cannot longer see what they meant.
In 0.17, they were the same size, and much more efficient at suggesting what they meant. And I'm the "efficiency over style" design type guy. If I have to choose between beautiful and usable, i choose usable first, and as good looking as possible without degrading usability after.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Now when you say it, I remember that there where simpler understandable icons. Hmmm.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

ssilk wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:48 am
Hmmm.
indeed
:lol:

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”