Load Game in Background

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

minetech48
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Load Game in Background

Post by minetech48 »

TL;DR
Make the game load assets (mods, sprites, ect.) in the background.
What ?
Prioritize loading (and displaying) the main menu and essential assets first, before loading all the other game assets, and if you want to get into a world before the game has finished its loading, finish the game loading before loading the world. A game loading could be in a corner similar to when transferring a world for multiplayer. If this is something not everyone wants, it could be a setting in the options menu to enable background loading.

Possible loading screen replacement.
Possible loading screen replacement.
Untitled.png (3.84 MiB) Viewed 1512 times
Why ?
I suggest this because I feel that it could make the game feel smoother to launch, as you have one less loading screen to sit through. With just the menus loaded, you could still check/edit your settings/mods/savegames. All at a pretty low price of not being able to jump into your world instantly after the game loads the menu, but it's not like you have to wait any longer total.

EnerJi
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Load Game in Background

Post by EnerJi »

+1

Might be an engine limitation or similar that prevents this, but if feasible it would be a nice addition.

Ajedi32
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Ajedi32 »

If this isn't feasible I'd at least like the ability to alt-tab out of the game during the load screen. Right now the game seems to be stuck full screen until the loading completes, and Factorio takes a surprisingly long time to load for a 2D game, even on an SSD.

EnerJi
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by EnerJi »

Ajedi32 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:27 pm
If this isn't feasible I'd at least like the ability to alt-tab out of the game during the load screen. Right now the game seems to be stuck full screen until the loading completes, and Factorio takes a surprisingly long time to load for a 2D game, even on an SSD.
Interestingly, Factorio always loads in a window for me and I then maximize it when I'm ready to play. I don't remember whether it's always been this way. Perhaps there's a setting in the configuration which affects this? I play on macOS, FWIW.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”