Automatically adjust monitor refresh rate on fullscreen

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Torval
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Automatically adjust monitor refresh rate on fullscreen

Post by Torval »

TL;DR
Automatically set monitor refresh rate to 60hz when launching the game at fullscreen, and revert changes on exit.
What ?
I think that the best solution to the refresh rate problem, at least for now, is to automatically adjust the monitor rate so that at least the game looks smooth. I know other games do this, like Sekiro or Battlefield. Sekiro is a good example because it is locked to 60fps, and when I run it my monitor turns off and on for an instant and adjusts the screen refresh rate (I have mine overclocked to 75hz, and I can actually see that the refresh rate has changed by looking at the monitor info panel). Later, when I exit the game, the refresh rate adjusts to what it was set previously. It'd be cool to have something similiar in Factorio, maybe with a checkbox to deactivate it (it may feel unresponsive when alt-tabbing).
Why ?
Because it partially fixes the different-than-60hz refresh rate problem. Playing Factorio with a 75hz refresh rate monitor makes me feel dizzy when moving due to camera movement not feeling smooth.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Automatically adjust monitor refresh rate on fullscreen

Post by ssilk »

Stupid question: why have you set the refresh rate to 75hz?
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

If you don't have a CRT monitor what it actually should do is refresh the screen whenever a frame has rendered. No fixed refresh rate at all.

And yes, you can usually do that. Unfortunately there are 2 standards for this with stupid licensing fees. So it depends on what your monitor supports.

Torval
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Torval »

ssilk wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:19 am
Stupid question: why have you set the refresh rate to 75hz?
I really don't know how to interpret this reply, so I'm going to assume that by stupid question you are referring to your own question. The answer is that it doesn't really matter. The point is that my monitor refresh rate doesn't match Factorio's frame rate. If you really want to know the reason for why I overclocked it, the answer is the same as if I had bought a 75hz, 120hz, 144hz, or any other higher-than-60hz refresh rate monitor.

Something to add that may not be obvious: AFAIK monitors natively support different resolutions and refresh rates. For example, in Nvidia Control Panel I can choose between 60hz, 59hz and 50hz without touching anything "dangerous". If I want to set the refresh rate to 75hz I have to create a Custom Resolution myself and accept the dangers. My suggestion is to set the monitor refresh rate, if available (which it probably is), to match with Factorio's 60fps.
mrvn wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:36 am
If you don't have a CRT monitor what it actually should do is refresh the screen whenever a frame has rendered. No fixed refresh rate at all.

And yes, you can usually do that. Unfortunately there are 2 standards for this with stupid licensing fees. So it depends on what your monitor supports.
That sounds good but maybe too complex.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”