Hex signal view, hex and mathematical input in constants

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Hex signal view, hex and mathematical input in constants

Post by ssilk »

Qon wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:17 pm
ssilk wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:42 am
How the calculator works is open, but for the first implementation it should have basic operators in decimals.
What is a decimal operator?
A decimal operator is if you do something 10 times in a row. For example
1 ++++++++++ 1 = 11
5 ++++++++++ 2 = 25
2 ********** 2 = 2048

You can abbreviate that by multiplying the number of repetitions to the operator:

1 +*10 1 = 11
5 +*10 2 = 25
2 **10 2 = 2048

Because you can leave out the multiplication operator you can write

1 +10 1 = 11
5 +10 2 = 25
2 10 2 = 2048

P.S.: I wrote „operators in decimal“ and I meant o fcourse decimal numbers, because anything else doesn’t make any sense - as I showed. ;)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

ssilk wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:04 am
Qon wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:17 pm
ssilk wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:42 am
How the calculator works is open, but for the first implementation it should have basic operators in decimals.
What is a decimal operator?
P.S.: I wrote „operators in decimal“ and I meant o fcourse decimal numbers, because anything else doesn’t make any sense - as I showed. ;)
So you are talking about operators that work on decimal number digit representation? A bit like bitwise operators but for decimal numbers, where the number represented is "ignored"? I've never heard of such a thing before, except for the rare divisibility tricks (a number is divisible by 3 if the sum of its digits is divisible by 3).

It sounded like you didn't know that the normal mathematical operations are not affected by the base of the number you choose to represent it with. Now I'm even more qonfused.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

:roll: I meant: Take the cheapest solar power driven calculator you can find and implement it it’s function into Factorio.

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

jamiechi1 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:30 am
Although if you add binary and hexadecimal, I want Octal conversions as well. :D
As far as I know, the octal system was used in 9 (18,36) bit computers. Octal number packs single 9 bit byte to 3 digits. Fortunately it would be very easy to add if devs made the options to choose base.

It is nice to know that Factorio seems to run also in little bit older computers. According to Wikipedia "36-bit computers were popular in the early mainframe computer era from the 1950s through the early 1970s."

jamiechi1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by jamiechi1 »

Hannu wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:25 am
jamiechi1 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:30 am
Although if you add binary and hexadecimal, I want Octal conversions as well. :D
As far as I know, the octal system was used in 9 (18,36) bit computers. Octal number packs single 9 bit byte to 3 digits. Fortunately it would be very easy to add if devs made the options to choose base.

It is nice to know that Factorio seems to run also in little bit older computers. According to Wikipedia "36-bit computers were popular in the early mainframe computer era from the 1950s through the early 1970s."
I used to own a Heathkit H8. Originally, with the 8080 board, it originally used Octal on the front panel. I believe it was later changed to Hexadecimal input. I later purchased a Tryonix Z80 board to replace the 8080 board and I think that may have included a new version of PAM8 (bios?) and a new sticker for the front panel for hexadecimal input.
I never saw another example of computers that used words that used a multiple of 9 bits, but I believe you when you say they existed. I remember one of the TI minicomputers I operated, but it used binary input switches on the front panel. (I don't remember the word size in bits for that one.) I also operated IBM mainframes but don't remember the details. (Other than using the Hollerith cards to enter the JCL.)

Proxy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Allow for Math to be used in Number Fields

Post by Proxy »

A lot of productivity programs like Kicad, GIMP (or even games like Satisfactory) allow you to do math inside of text certain fields.
example from GIMP:

And when you're used to programs that have it, you'll start to notice it being missing. so i thought i'd suggest the idea here!
one example i can think of for Factorio is:
you have 4 assemblers feeding of a requester chest, using SHIFT+LMB to set the requester's item would only request enough for a single assembler. so it would be convenient if you could just click on the item in the requester, and in the number field next to the slider, enter "*4" (multiply by 4), then click the confirm button to have it automatically evaluate that and save it as the new item count.

Factoruser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Allow for Math to be used in Number Fields

Post by Factoruser »

Extremely smart idea, although not THAT much useful for Factorio...

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

that was similar enough for me to join it with this topic…

I think the idea can be quite useful.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”