Change internal temperature scale from relative to absolute

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

geostar1024
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Change internal temperature scale from relative to absolute

Post by geostar1024 »

TL;DR
An absolute temperature scale (e.g. Kelvin) should be used internally rather than the current relative temperature scale to allow for entities to have temperatures below 0C.
What ?
Essentially, this is a proposal to shift the zero point of the temperature scale, so that 0C becomes 273K internally (though temperatures probably should continue being displayed in Celsius). As far as I can tell, this should not have any noticeable effect on current vanilla gameplay as only relative temperature differences are important.
Why ?
The primary benefit of this change would be to enable the use of processes that require sub-freezing temperatures. For instance, one could envision needing to keep heat-producing entities at cold/cryogenic temperatures in order for them to continue functioning (for example, the supercomputers in the Space Exploration mod (currently handled in a bit of a roundabout manner)).

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Change internal temperature scale from relative to absolute

Post by Klonan »

Temperature can already be negative, its a floating point number

geostar1024
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by geostar1024 »

Ah, good to know. Well, the reason this came up was that I was trying to set the temperature of a reactor to less than zero, but it won't go below 15C (which I had assumed might be to do with the way temperature was represented internally). So, then, it looks like there's some kind of artificial temperature floor for entities right now?

geostar1024
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by geostar1024 »

I have been informed that I need to read the documentation more carefully (it looks I need to be setting default_temperature on an entity).

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”