Factorio 1.0 Launch Special Edition

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

SharkCK
Inserter
Inserter

Factorio 1.0 Launch Special Edition

Post by SharkCK »

As I'm sure you guys are looking for ways to maximize profit for the game, and, surely pay for extra maintenance costs post-release, I would think that a lot of people would pay for a Special Edition of Factorio.

My thoughts behind this would be that the main release of the game (Currently what everybody has) would include only the game and none of the previous versions. In order to unlock the previous versions, I feel they should be added as an expansion/DLC package that could be part of the 'Factorio Special Edition'. This should cover any additional costs to maintaining multiple branches (if applicable). Also, to make this more unique, (Influenced by reading FF#353) I would love to see all major versions (0.1, 0.2, ..., ..., 0.17, 0.18 instead of just 0.12 and later) available to choose. I, for one would without question/doubt pay extra for this knowing that it will be supporting you guys and all of the effort you have put into making this awesome game.

Of course, by making a "Special Edition", I'm sure there's other Easter eggs, etc. that you can add to "spruce it up". But primarily, I think having the multiple stages of the game would be a big seller!

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Factorio 1.0 Launch Special Edition

Post by ssilk »

You want to let gamers pay for old versions of Factorio?? They are already sold and the money was used to make the next version. And I need them to load/play my old maps.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

SharkCK
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SharkCK »

The game is not yet released. Everybody knows that whatever is in the current build may not make it to release. There is no reason, upon the release of the game, that the devs should pay and maintain multiple builds for nothing. I think this would be a good seller... and for what? $5? $10? Who wouldn't pay that to help the game out and to help fund the next project as well as post-release updates?

SharkCK
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SharkCK »

ssilk wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:05 am
And I need them to load/play my old maps.
In addition, any old map can be loaded into the latest versions.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

I don't like strategies that aim to milk players/customers as the main goal, and trying to find a way to do so.
I like the strategy of making the best game/product possible, and asking a fair price for it.

I can understand the existence of "you can pay more for not-so-useful goodies to help the devs" at the early age of an indie game development, to help studios that don't have a publisher to fund themselves enough to make it to the point of a game that can be sold, which is not the case for Factorio : the game is already a success.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

I'm happy to pay the developers more for some kind of DLC or extras. Like a lot of people, I feel that what I paid for the game is embarrassingly low considering the hundreds (thousands?) of hours of entertainment I got out of it.

But this specific suggestion is not a good one, because players already have access to old versions of the game, all the way back to 0.6.4, I think, so your suggestion would involve taking this away. Making a product worse after someone has already bought it is never an ethical thing to do.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

Devs can make new big mod and sell it like Steam DLC. Some fair price and it can be a good deal.

doppelEben
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by doppelEben »

really really really want a collectors edition with a toy inserter :O
Last edited by doppelEben on Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

conn11
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by conn11 »

A coffee mug for long night shifts would be much appreciated.
Probably by extending the merch section.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

There is indeed demande for more diverse merch, which can be seen here :
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=25909

netmand
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by netmand »

The proposal is to release a Special Edition that only includes older versions of the game that were less refined, laden with bugs, and lacking in features? This does not seem like a good idea.

A release edition with an inserter toy, or special version 1.0 avatar/special sprites, biter plushie, and/or a soundtrack might be a better idea.

MEOWMI
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MEOWMI »

Even if desired, an easier (and far more justified) option would be a small price increase.

SharkCK
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SharkCK »

MEOWMI wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:54 pm
Even if desired, an easier (and far more justified) option would be a small price increase.
From a business perspective though, everybody has already purchased the game. Increasing the price of the game will bring in $0 since everybody already has the game for about $15. The game has already increased in price. The dev's deserve more for what this game has turned into. Adding all of the previous builds for $5 is more than reasonable and ensures they actually bring in a profit from the loss of selling the game so cheap since early development. Otherwise, I'm not sure what Steam charges for maintaining multiple builds... they may have to take all of the previous builds away @/Post launch.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

SharkCK wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:37 am
ssilk wrote:
No, works only some versions back. They always remove the map upgrade part for about 4 versions back. You cannot load a 0.8 game with 0.18. You can update the map by loading it with 0.12, save it and then load it with 0.16 and save it again.

Despite from that I am the same opinion as Koub. More merch! ...but don’t let players pay for software: just bits and bites that can be copied without cost, that is already finished, programmers are paid, players had fun.

Maybe in some years, when development of Factorio has ended, then something needs to be paid as distribution cost.

Much more interesting in my mind would be to enable mod developers to be paid, first on voluntary base. Just some reliable possibility to pay money via Factorio to some registered mod-dev. Later a possibility to install protected mods to professional mod-devs.

SharkCK
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SharkCK »

ssilk wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:18 pm
SharkCK wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:37 am
ssilk wrote:
No, works only some versions back. They always remove the map upgrade part for about 4 versions back. You cannot load a 0.8 game with 0.18. You can update the map by loading it with 0.12, save it and then load it with 0.16 and save it again.
FF#353_https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-353 wrote:
There isn’t enough time to go through all of the major versions as the trailer is going to be rather short, so I reduced the selection to versions:

0.1 as "the original idea";
0.6 as "the prototype" (0.7.0 was released with FFF#1);
0.12 as "the early access game" (stable 0.12 was the first version on Steam Early Access);
0.18/1.0 as "the version for launch".

It is technically possible to load a savegame from 0.1 in 0.18 if you go through the necessary middle-version steps. So I just started casually playing version 0.1, imagining I’d just continue it in 0.6, build a bit there, then jump to 0.12, and so on...
From FF#353, you can import a 0.1 save into the latest version.

I agree. A special edition should not be JUST for something like I suggested. In addition to whatever else, this should be one of the perks. Otherwise, have it separately as a DLC option for a few bucks to help with the extra expenses of having the builds available post-launch.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Hello, I appreciate the thought, however we have no interest in supporting outdated versions so I don't think selling them for extra would be good idea.

Given long early access development I think it's fair to give people ability to stay on particular stable version in case newer versions are not compatible with the computers of some player's anymore; or the player is in middle of a playthrough with set of mods that were not updated to the newer version of the game or the updates changed the game too much and it is more convenient to finish the playthrough on the older version; or simply development of the game takes a direction players don't expect and don't like so they have an option to play the game in a version they did like.

1.0 release is about extending the player base by reaching out to the new people, not milking of the existing community.
That will come later.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

posila wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:26 pm
That will come later.
That teaser :mrgreen:

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Koub wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:37 pm
posila wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:26 pm
That will come later.
That teaser :mrgreen:
Loot boxes in Factorio confirmed! (and before you ask: hats)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

SharkCK wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:17 am
FF#353_https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-353 wrote:
It is technically possible to load a savegame from 0.1 in 0.18 if you go through the necessary middle-version steps.
From FF#353, you can import a 0.1 save into the latest version.
No, please read your quote correctly! :)

Windsinger
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Windsinger »

doppelEben wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:02 am
really really really want a collectors edition with a toy inserter :O
/

+1

A collections edition would be a very nice idea, the game would be the same obviously and nothing like the OP says lol.

- Same game as everyone else in the form of a steam key or something.
- Book with concept arts, sketches, pictures of production hardware, people, special moments
- Small figurine (inserter, the engineer?, little biter models?)

little special things for a real collectors (limited) edition would be really nice.
I'm for one someone who usually buy those boxes myself, because i love the concept arts and journals to see how the team got there.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”