FR: Introduce "blueprint instances"

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

wrygiel
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

FR: Introduce "blueprint instances"

Post by wrygiel »

As a computer engineer and I love blueprints, because they resample procedures/functions. Using blueprints lets me avoid a lot of repeated work. At some point however, blueprints - as they are today - still become sub-optimal: When you want to upgrade your blueprint, you need to manually update all of its previously placed instances (and update planner is not enough for some types of updates).

What I would really love to see in Factorio is the ability to take blueprints one step farther: To be able to edit a blueprint *definition*, and expect all its *instances* (places on the map in which this blueprint has been placed) to update themselves.

This would also mean that such instances would not be directly editable - the only way to change the entities in such places would be to update them in the originating blueprint definition. (Instances would probably need to be displayed a bit differently to reflect that.) If, at the same time, you could add the ability to *nest* such functions inside each other (put blueprint instances inside blueprint definitions), then playing Factorio would truly allow me to achieve another level (of complexity)!

Thank you.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: FR: Introduce "blueprint instances"

Post by ssilk »

Highly recommended to use some mod.
What I use myself: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Edit-Blueprints
But I found it is not always stable...
What I saw lately, but not tested:
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/BlueprintLab_design
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”