Enhanced cheat mode GUI for "Sandbox"/creative

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

SyncViews
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Enhanced cheat mode GUI for "Sandbox"/creative

Post by SyncViews »

TL;DR
Give options for "creative" cheat tools a clear GUI without requiring mods or console commands. Either in sandbox or cheat mode generally.

What ?
The functionality exists in Factorio, but I'd like some GUI tweak to access the features in a place that is easy to find in-game.
temp.png
temp.png (2.34 MiB) Viewed 727 times
  • When cheat mode is enabled display "recipes" in the character crafting for the infinity chest, pipe, electric energy interface and possibly loaders. Maybe put them in their own "cheat" crafting tab to make them stand out.

These are very useful for working out designs. Using just what is presented in cheat mode right now the obvious thing to do is trying to quickly hack together a mini base using free solar, miners, etc. Or for plates etc. maybe cheat crafting a few thousand to fill a chest.

While you can switch to the editor and find them there, would a new player know to look there? Would a new player even know they exist? Even more so for using a command.

Code: Select all

/c game.player.insert{name="infinity-chest", count=50}
  • In cheat mode have a visible editor (or "editor-like" mode) toggle button somewhere visible (below the mini map?). Going past the infinity items, there are some useful tools in there if want to adjust/create an ore patch, water, etc.

In some cases it might actually be better for a player to just start out in the editor, but quite likely they didn't think of that. There not looking to make a "map". "sandbox" sounds about right and it asked if they wanted "cheat mode" etc. There is the "/editor" command, but they need to be told this or go looking on the internet for the right thing.

It could also maybe hide/modify full editor features that might lead to confusion ("Save as scenario", pause by default, separate inventory).
Why ?
For testing out ideas, creating blueprints etc. Factorio has many great built in tools, cheat mode, infinity chests/pipes, the electric energy interface, etc. But I feel these are hidden from new players so it looks like the game doesn't have them (as many games don't).

Having played the game for a long time, and also as a programmer personally I just picked up many of the tricks along the way as updates added features, mods, personal scripts/cheatsheets, etc. But introducing a new player I see how a lot of these are really not obvious if left to their own devices.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”