I imagine the train stop being connected to the logistics network via red/green cables similar to smart chests/inserters, having a similar dialog (no filtering, but red/green/logistics network conditions).
My concrete imagination stops there: finding the best way to control your smart station is up to the player and part of the fun!
- better control over your trains
- more opportunities to use the red/green cables
- suddenly the control network may become much larger, adding more depth to the whole concept
- adds to the complexity of trains (they don't seem to be understood very well as they are). On the other hand: this game is about understanding and optimizing complex processes – so why not a complex train technologie?
- I don't know how trains interact with train stops. Who controls when the train gets going again? The way the train system is currently implemented has a big impact of the effort needed to implement my suggestion.
PPS: This is a follow up to https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=6&t=4738 . Initially a direct answer in this thread I deviated from the "smart train" idea and so decided to open a new topic. Both are strongly related, but still not the same.
Thanks for reading my suggestion.