Adopt mod uranium process to vanilla

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

kruzesfactorio
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Adopt mod uranium process to vanilla

Post by kruzesfactorio »

TL;DR
Substitute vanilla uranium mining and processing with Schall uranium processing mod .

Edited to clarify.

What ?
As a nuclear engineer, I really like how the uranium front end is modelled in Schall's mod. Plus it is not overly complicated at all and player friendly (it is a game and not real life) :

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/SchallUraniumProcessing

Please substitute the vanilla model with Schall's. Pretty please.
Why ?
Is a way more realistical representation of the real cycle.

It can make the game more educational.

It is not more complicated than the Kovarex by any means. It only introduces yellowcake and separates depleted uranium, reactor-grade uranium and weapons-grade uranium.

It makes weapon grade uranium harder to get and you consume more centrifuge time and power by doing it.

It makes players think twice before using precious nuclear waheads.

It takes away the unrealistic chore of routing sulfuric acid to the ore fields. Instead, you use it in a centralised fashion in a tier 2 or 3 assembler to get yellowcake.
Last edited by kruzesfactorio on Fri May 08, 2020 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

riking
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Adopt mod uranium process to vanilla

Post by riking »

The problem with replacing is that players now have to deal with the problem of storage and destroying large quantities of "depleted uranium". The point of the Kovarex process is to give a gameplay flow that does not involve unbounded item storage requirements, as there is no method in vanilla to reliably and automatically destroy items. Note that the mod does not disable the Kovarex process.

Such a change would need some form of disposing of the unwanted depleted uranium.... perhaps in a nuclear waste dump entity?

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo »

riking wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 3:32 am
Such a change would need some form of disposing of the unwanted depleted uranium....
In the real world, uranium projectiles are made of depleted uranium...

kruzesfactorio
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by kruzesfactorio »

riking wrote:
The problem with replacing is that players now have to deal with the problem of storage and destroying large quantities of "depleted uranium".
Welcome to the nuclear industry.

DU storage and disposal is a very real problem that countries have. Fortunately, DU even less radioactive that natural uranium so its safe to handle.

Edit : when I say the kovarex process, i am referring to the mining, not to waste reprocessing. I will change my post to clarify

From a gameplay point, that would give somehing to think before going nuclear : you are gonna have quite a lot of DU that you need to store or use. In the other hand, nuclear fuel can last longer and/or make more power. If it's a balance issue it can be balanced.
Last edited by kruzesfactorio on Fri May 08, 2020 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kruzesfactorio
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by kruzesfactorio »

Oktokolo wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 5:41 am
riking wrote:
Such a change would need some form of disposing of the unwanted depleted uranium....
You can make DU bullets and DU cannon rounds with 238U "DU" ingame can't you?

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo »

kruzesfactorio wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 12:02 pm
Yes, we can.

PyroFire
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by PyroFire »

Reality doesn't translate to fun game mechanics.

Example; satisfactory uranium and nuclear reactors almost instantly kills you when you stand near it.
In reality, it's no where near as dangerous as it is portrayed.
Uranium radiation isn't that strong, and the nuclear reactor is *encased in radiation shielding* so it shouldn't be emitting anything at all.

It's not accurate, but it makes for an interesting obstacle to gameplay.

... To further illustrate the point;

You can't stack 100 million robots in the same space, in reality they could collide and crash, so factorio should have this too.

And transport belts should need electricity to operate like they do in reality.

And there should be different types of assembling machines and chemical plants to make each tier of recipe, because a magic 3d printer that can turn anything into a freaking rocket doesn't exist in reality.

And in reality, people can't just carry around thousands of tonnes of raw resources like iron in their back pocket so we should reduce the inventory size to accommodate that fact.

And in reality, pumping water out of a lake will inevitably drain that lake of water, so water shouldn't be infinite in the way that it is.

And in reality, you need to eat, sleep, stay warm and drink water on a regular basis so this should be added to factorio.

It's often a good guide, and often the starting point for many ideas, but don't be afraid to stretch that suspension of disbelief to the benefit of the experience.
Not matching reality, on its own, is not a valid reason for change, unless such a change would improve the play experience.
Such is subjective so, as always, it's up to wube.

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo »

PyroFire wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 6:25 am
Except when it does. Depleted uranium rounds are a good example for that. While still a simplification, it is definitely fun to kill biters with them - i tested that in countless hours. :P

riking
Inserter
Inserter

Post by riking »

kruzesfactorio wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 12:02 pm
Oktokolo wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 5:41 am
Sure, but now you've just transferred the storage problem from large quantities of DU items to large quantities of bullets and cannon round items.

You can't automatically dispose of cannon rounds at all, and bullets are quite annoying to automatically dispose of (you need to set up a biter farm).

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo »

riking wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 11:35 pm
Sure, but now you've just transferred the storage problem from large quantities of DU items to large quantities of bullets and cannon round items.
Just go killing some nests!

Apart from that obvious solution, i am of the opinion, that Factorio indeed needs some "real" waste management and recycling gameplay.
There should be way more byproducts and waste management should be one of the logistic problems to solve. There should be things, wich you start getting early on but can only use at a later stage. Burning or storing them in dump sites or silos should be part of the early game as well as turning them into something usable later on.
Having a base wich is almost net pollution free should become possible (not mandatory) late game.
Obviously, everything wich involves byproducts is way harder to balance than the vanilla production chains, where (except for nuclear reactors and advanced oil refining) the only byproduct is pollution.
I don't play much recently - but when i play, i play with DivOresity, so i have some "waste" management without having to use one of the huge overhaul mods.

khalismur
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by khalismur »

kruzesfactorio wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 4:18 pm
[...]
As a nuclear engineer [...]
As a manufacturing processes engineer, there's soooooo many hard-to-swallow simplifications in the game if you compare to the real world, and that's totally OK.
PyroFire wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 6:25 am
[...]
That can't be closer to the truth.

The game is just fine as it is. If you want more complex production chains, there are well curated mods for most tastes. To the OP: I don't really get the problem here. If you like "Schall Uranium Processing" why not, you know, install the mod? There's absolutely no need to wanna force it into everyone's games.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”