standard elevator entity?

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

yagaodirac
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

standard elevator entity?

Post by yagaodirac »

I sometimes heard that this game runs on only 1 thread, which mean a lot.
And then a mod called clusterio was developped.
Recently, Comfy developed a new map called chronotrain.
Then the old lasting problem is mentioned again.
If we have standard elevator, the map developing should be way easier. And that might have a chance to make this game run on more than 1 thread naturally.

Say, an entity, 2x2 big. When anybody get in to it, it teleports to another surface. Which connects surfaces. And if items, power have some mechanism to transfer between surfaces, that could help make caves, indoor spaces. And, it definitely helps mod developers a lot.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: standard elevator entity?

Post by Koub »

yagaodirac wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 7:42 am
[...]
If we have standard elevator, the map developing should be way easier. And that might have a chance to make this game run on more than 1 thread naturally.
This is untrue. Thye game is mostly (but not fully) single threaded. There is actually a lot that's paralellized, unfortunately there is a core part that can't be, and it's why people sometimes say "it's monothreaded". If you want to check, take a megabase map, and compare running Factorio on a multi core, and retest by forcing Factorio to run on a single thread. You should see a drop in performance.

If you want to know more, you should read this thread completely : viewtopic.php?f=5&t=39893
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

yagaodirac
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by yagaodirac »

Koub wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:31 am
yagaodirac wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 7:42 am
[...]
This is untrue. Thye game is mostly (but not fully) single threaded. There is actually a lot that's paralellized, unfortunately there is a core part that can't be, and it's why people sometimes say "it's monothreaded". If you want to check, take a megabase map, and compare running Factorio on a multi core, and retest by forcing Factorio to run on a single thread. You should see a drop in performance.

If you want to know more, you should read this thread completely : viewtopic.php?f=5&t=39893
Hi, thanks for replying.
The top reason I mentioned this is that, this mechanism helps with the "moving base to a new place", and "shorten the distance between base and interesting place to explore". In Crashsite, the base building task is simplified. In Chronotrain, the migrating is simplified. And these 2 maps are now most popular. And when the 2 mentioned problem is solved, people are tent to gather and able to see others.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

When it is about teleportation, why not use Klonans teleporter mod? https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Teleporters

Works also between surfaces.

And I don’t understand the connection to single thread. How should that help? Do you mean to have one thread per surface?
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”