Elevation levels, belt power, hydroelectric

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

damerell
Inserter
Inserter

Elevation levels, belt power, hydroelectric

Post by damerell »

(I know these ideas are hardy perennials in and of themselves, but I had an idea as to how they might be usefully combined).

Suppose that a) the map has elevation levels (which can be done in 2D, OpenTTD style) and b) that belts require energy (electric or to be "burner belts") to raise objects up elevation levels.

Why? The basic difficulty with belt power is getting the player "off the starting grid", and the prospect of the entire electricity supply breaking down when a brownout stops the belts that bring coal to the boilers from working.

However, in this idea, if the map were relatively smooth, the player could do their initial development on flat land, and also arrange their boilers to be on low ground, so that supplies of coal travelled downhill. As they sought to expand they might have to deal with the extra energy demands of uphill belts and the need for consistent energy supplies. (I imagine inserters, with their flexible arms, would work across elevation changes, but also demand extra energy to shove things uphill).

This would also open the prospect of (expensive) terraforming. At the moment, the only really resource-heavy activities are research and the rocket defence.

Last but not least, elevation opens the possibility of hydroelectric power - I'd suggest it might be cheap to set up, but limited in scope - since the Factorio world seems just to have bodies of standing water, once you've drained the high lake into the low lake [1], you're done (at least until you start pumping water back as a super accumulator). This also gives a route around the "pumps can't require power, to avoid total power stall" problem - early on one has burner pumps, late on you maintain a reserve of water up high which can gravity feed into the boilers in a brownout. And, of course, it opens up the possibility of Dwarf Fortress style Fun when you accidentally flood your base.

[1] Presumably the lowest-level lakes are at the water level, so have an infinite supply of the stuff.

JayS
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Elevation levels, belt power, hydroelectric

Post by JayS »

I think these are great suggestions!
Don't look now, but there is a spider behind you.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

The devs plan to extend to a second level like in Starcraft. But not much more.

I mean: I can think of an belt-elevator, which brings stuff from current level to level 1. Or to be able to generate water-power etc...
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

damerell
Inserter
Inserter

Post by damerell »

ssilk wrote:I mean: I can think of an belt-elevator, which brings stuff from current level to level 1. Or to be able to generate water-power etc...
It works even with only two or three levels - but if the belt-elevator cost energy to raise stuff, it would make the upper level have characteristics other than a different floor tile. :-)

katyal
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by katyal »

ssilk wrote:The devs plan to extend to a second level like in Starcraft. But not much more.

I mean: I can think of an belt-elevator, which brings stuff from current level to level 1. Or to be able to generate water-power etc...
Really?! This is the first time I here about it but that sounds fantastic. Never thought I would have to ask this question but, SSilk, do you have a link to that discussion?

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”