Check for Factorio updates before loading sprites

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

CheeseMcBurger
Inserter
Inserter

Check for Factorio updates before loading sprites

Post by CheeseMcBurger »

The game should check for Factorio updates before loading sprites. This way you do not have to wait for the game to load sprites twice -- when starting the game and again when starting the updated game.

I am aware that I can postpone the installation of the update, but I think that this change would improve the update experience a lot.

Hope this is possible. Cheers 🥂

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Check for Factorio updates before loading sprites

Post by darkfrei »

It will be better to check it before the data stage, why are we need all prototypes for the game update? Of course it must be optionally.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

darkfrei wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:30 pm
It will be better to check it before the data stage, why are we need all prototypes for the game update? Of course it must be optionally.
Well, because the "content pipeline" is not that well though out and GUI styles and assets are mixed with everything else, so the game is not able to create and render GUIs until everything is loaded.

CheeseMcBurger
Inserter
Inserter

Post by CheeseMcBurger »

posila wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:43 pm
darkfrei wrote:
Well, because the "content pipeline" is not that well though out and GUI styles and assets are mixed with everything else, so the game is not able to create and render GUIs until everything is loaded.
That kinda sounds like you already have an improvement for that on the backlog ;)

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

posila wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:43 pm
darkfrei wrote:
But the game without "base mod" must work too. For example the background of main menu is not defined in the data stage, why the GUI must be?

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

darkfrei wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:50 pm
But the game without "base mod" must work too. For example the background of main menu is not defined in the data stage, why the GUI must be?
Well, it is as of 0.18.13 https://wiki.factorio.com/Prototype/Uti ... e_location

I am not saying it had to be done the way it has been done. I do think checking for updates while the game is loading would be very reasonable, on the other hand most people ... well, almost everybody, uses either Steam or GOG Galaxy which update the game on their own, so it is not seen as a problem that should be worked on right now.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”