Bulk transferring items from player inventory into a limited chest (red slots) and vice versa

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [0.18.18] Bulk transferring items from player inventory into a limited chest

Post by ssilk »

joined with existing thread, because idea is very similar — ssilk

Thanks ickputzdirwech.

I’ve also no idea, why this is not taken always from the end of stacks.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Shift-clicking items into red area of chests

Post by ssilk »

ickputzdirwech wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:08 am
I like the idea. See this post 83753 for a discussion about it. Hopefully a moderator will merge the topics.
Sorry, that subject is about taking out. This is about putting in. Not merging.

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

ssilk wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:13 am
ickputzdirwech wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:08 am
I like the idea. See this post 83753 for a discussion about it. Hopefully a moderator will merge the topics.
Sorry, that subject is about taking out. This is about putting in. Not merging.
I think you mixed the two posts up. This and the topic I linked are about putting in. The topic you merged with the topic that I linked was about taking out.
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

pichutarius
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by pichutarius »

AmericanPatriot wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:14 pm
+1 shift click should work, but not control click.
both should work the same for simplicity. what i had in mind:

control click will not spill into red area unless white area is full. (so click twice)

shift click will not spill into red area unless white area is full. this is relevant only when white area is almost full, except the last stack.

off topic: for taking out (click chest)

control click will take red area only unless red area is empty. and do so in reverse order like inserter.

shift click will ... urm... take that exact stack, unchanged?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

ickputzdirwech wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:18 am

I think you mixed the two posts up. This and the topic I linked are about putting in. The topic you merged with the topic that I linked was about taking out.
Shit. No time yet to clean that up now. This must wait. Thanks.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Bulk transferring items from player inventory into a limited chest (red slots) and vice versa

Post by ssilk »

I merged now both subjects, because it seems to be quite logical as ickputzdirwech suggested; the disadvantage of that action was, that the three posts are completely mixed up, take care of that, when reading!

MyNameIsTrez
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Allow players to shift-click stacks into chests that have been limited

Post by MyNameIsTrez »

TL;DR
Allowing players to shift-click the stacks in their inventory into chests that have their slots limited.
What ?
The tooltip of the chest limiting button states that the inventory is meant to be limited so it can't be filled by machines, but it doesn't specify that players shouldn't be able to override this limit.
limited-chest-tooltip.png
limited-chest-tooltip.png (32.25 KiB) Viewed 3205 times
Why ?
I have an assembly machine filling this chest with rail until it hits its limit of 10 slots, which I decided is plenty for my current base. I grabbed a bunch of rail from it a while ago and found myself with a bunch of extra rail in my inventory, so I wanted to dump it back into this chest. The problem is that I'm not allowed to shift-click the rail back into the chest due to my imposed limit of 10 stacks.
track-crafter.png
track-crafter.png (293.53 KiB) Viewed 3205 times
This limit is just meant for the assembling machine though, not for me as a player. I had to manually click-drag-drop every single stack of rail I wanted to dump into the chest. I didn't want to temporarily remove the chests' limit either as I don't want my assembling machine active and producing even more rail (even if it's just for a few seconds). And having to remember what the original limit of the chest was would also be annoying.
dragging.png
dragging.png (212.32 KiB) Viewed 3205 times
I don't think having the chest able to reject items from the player using the limit makes sense. If there is some niche case in which it is desired I can't imagine it outweighing my stated issue.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Allow players to shift-click stacks into chests that have been limited

Post by mmmPI »

For the rail thing you mention, not being able to place the extra back in the chest. You can instead of limiting the chest, wire the inserter and the chest, and then only enable the inserter when the quantity in the chest is inferior to a number.

This way the machine doesn't overfill the chest, and the extra space is not limited so you can put things back without doing it stack by stack or needing to unlimit temporarily and relimit.

It's a way to hopefully replicate the behavior you like without altering the way limiting chest functions as it's useful when you want to refill many chest with some ammo for example, you can shift left click them, and if the limit has been set to 5 stack, each click will fill up a chest up to 5 stack only.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Restricted Storage Interaction

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged into older topic with same suggestion.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

+1 of using double clicks to fill into the red zone while single click remains as is.

One side effect of this would be that drag filling would never use the red zone but I think that is OK. Unless dragging after a double click would remember that it's a double click drag.

Zaflis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zaflis »

NotRexButCaesar wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:01 am
Maybe control click once to fill up to the limit and then click again to fill red spaces.
That is impractical and automation could be taking 1 item out just when you are clicking items in, resulting you to only put in 1 item. Better way is just like in Dyson Sphere Program, both Shift- and Ctrl-clicks will freely fill into the red area.

If i repeat myself, i don't know a case where i would not want my inventory's excess items to go in the chest even if it's in restricted area. I put items in chest when i want to free up inventory space so in chest is where it's better for them.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

I don't understand this request.

As someone else already mentioned, you can do this via circuit network. Connect a single cable from the inserter to the chest it's inserting to and set it to disable if quantity is >= x. You then don't need to restrict slots in the chest itself and this allows you to move the items from your inventory to the chest without issue.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:40 pm

As someone else already mentioned, you can do this via circuit network. Connect a single cable from the inserter to the chest it's inserting to and set it to disable if quantity is >= x. You then don't need to restrict slots in the chest itself and this allows you to move the items from your inventory to the chest without issue.
Are you saying that the chests' "limit capacity" feature is basically useless ? Or did I miss something ?

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Koub wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:19 pm
FuryoftheStars wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:40 pm

Are you saying that the chests' "limit capacity" feature is basically useless ? Or did I miss something ?
No, they have their use prior to circuits. I'm saying the request itself to allow the player to insert items into the chest despite the chest's built in limit capacity feature doesn't make sense to me seems you can already accomplish this via single wire circuit network.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Assuming you have wires.
FuryoftheStars wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:02 pm
No, they have their use prior to circuits.
I'm mostly find myself running around with excess goods that I need to dump back into some buffer chest prior to researching wires. And after researching trash slots it's fully obsolete. I feel it's very much an early game issue so the wire workaround is mood.

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

I really enjoyed, how it's realized in DSP. You can put items by hanbd into machine-restricted slots, and machines will pull out of those restricted slots. Effectively that makes every limited chest an easy way to inject "unnecessary" items into a production line.
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Koub wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:19 pm
The fact that you can use circuit network to replicate the desired behavior of being able to put back some item in chest that is limited for the machine only wouldn't make the "limit chest capacity" useless, for ammo, or coal, or barrel, you may be willing to give yourself an easy/fast way to refill 5 stack of something in 20 chest with a shift left click/drag.

The proposition of altering to remove this possibility would be more impacting than adding a possibility with a hotkey to bypass this restriction on chest when manually trashing item.

The topic were merged after i commented on the newly added to the ancient with more detailed propositions.

The new hotkey => I like in itself for when you don't have circuit researched of just as a new possibility.

And also because it would be a way to not alter how the limit function at the moment for those who are used to it.

netmand
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by netmand »

The fact that a player can manually place items in the limit area seems to be a bug to me more than a feature, so short-cuts such as shift-click in this respect are working as intended as far as I can see.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

netmand wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:37 pm
The fact that a player can manually place items in the limit area seems to be a bug to me more than a feature, so short-cuts such as shift-click in this respect are working as intended as far as I can see.
Look at the tooltip :
2021-11-04 19_23_45-Factorio 1.1.45.jpg
2021-11-04 19_23_45-Factorio 1.1.45.jpg (44.35 KiB) Viewed 3072 times
It says "[...] cannot be filled by machines". That excludes the engineer. So hand filling is by design OK, hence not a bug.

netmand
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by netmand »

Koub wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:27 pm
It says "[...] cannot be filled by machines". That excludes the engineer. So hand filling is by design OK, hence not a bug.
ah so, then since it cannot be filled by the engineer (via shift-click) then wouldn't that be a bug? If we all don't want to classify this so severely, At least it supports the intention of the topic.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”