Emoji keyboard entry for icon names

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

mrbaggins
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Emoji keyboard entry for icon names

Post by mrbaggins »

A feature of the game for over two years, since April 2018, 2 major releases ago, has been the ability to use item sprites as parts of string text in the game. Station names, chat messages, and various modded entities all benefit from this.

However, not only due to 90% of players not know about it, those that do regularly don't use it because to do so is extremely cumbersome. Even more so with mods, where the sprite path is either difficult or impossible to deduce, and there's usually not a wiki with it listed.

I propose a button (and shortcut) that causes a popup like the Windows Emoji keyboard. Pressing Winkey+[period] on Windows 10 brings up a popup with a search box. The popup in Factorio could be arranged exactly as the inventory/crafting screen. A search box which should get focus on opening should let them type names of the sprite path (optionally the "item name" itself too, as they sometimes differ significantly), and optionally arrow keys to navigate the options presented.

Clicking or highlighting with arrows and then pressing enter, places the sprite or it's [RICH TEXT EQUIVALENT] into the current chat cursor location.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Emoji keyboard entry for icon names

Post by 5thHorseman »

Anything is better than what we have now. I like the idea of being able to do it all with the keyboard.

maybe as soon as you type the "[" the "emoji window" pops up and you can then tab to the search box.

teenusa
Inserter
Inserter

Post by teenusa »

Maybe make it even simpler, for example in telegram you can write ":+1" (without ") and it will let you choose to write along or to select the thumbs up emoji.
Anmerkung 2020-04-09 092045.jpg
Anmerkung 2020-04-09 092045.jpg (7.06 KiB) Viewed 2297 times
Anmerkung 2020-04-09 092013.jpg
Anmerkung 2020-04-09 092013.jpg (7.06 KiB) Viewed 2297 times
aka Chaftalie

PyroFire
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by PyroFire »

Shouldn't be too hard to make a mod that does this in a popup menu.

mrbaggins
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by mrbaggins »

I love all of these suggestions, whether it's :rofl: style or [ to open. Both good.

As for mods, I don't think mods are allowed much access to the chat box.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”