New Beacon Suggestion

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

sorahn
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

New Beacon Suggestion

Post by sorahn »

Since it was mentioned that the animations are incomplete, maybe for the new beacons they could be tinted to match the modules inside them. And even blend a little if you've got one of each :)

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: New Beacon Suggestion

Post by Kyralessa »

Yes! If the beacons are going to have color, it would be cool if they could take on the color of the modules they contain.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

There is some historical context for this kind of thing - per-recipe crafting tints, which are exploited most fully in vanilla by the "new" chemical plants (from memory I don't think any other vanilla entity uses them). They open up a lot of fun visual features for modders.

But it would take some extra engine functionality for modules, because modules are not recipe-based. And if beacons could take a tint from modules, then why not any machine that has module slots?

sorahn
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by sorahn »

But it would take some extra engine functionality for modules, because modules are not recipe-based.
I certainly don't know enough about the internal games to know if it's possible, but you probably do so I'll take your word for it.
And if beacons could take a tint from modules, then why not any machine that has module slots?
because the other machines don't broadcast their module powers to other nearby machines. Beacons are unique for that effect.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

sorahn wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:47 pm
But it would take some extra engine functionality for modules, because modules are not recipe-based.
I certainly don't know enough about the internal games to know if it's possible, but you probably do so I'll take your word for it.
And if beacons could take a tint from modules, then why not any machine that has module slots?
because the other machines don't broadcast their module powers to other nearby machines. Beacons are unique for that effect.
It's not possible with the current engine, but it might not be much work to extend existing mechanisms - the crafting tint stuff that I referred to.

I wasn't arguing against the idea, but for it, and for that function to be extended to all entities with module slots. Personally I would be more interested in having parts of e.g. assemblers coloured to show that they have e.g. speed modules in. Because I don't really care for beacons. Mind you, that is what alt-mode module icons are for.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Food for thought:

What happens if there are different types of modules in the same machine? Modded machines can have lots of slots.
  • Stripes. Zebra machines?
  • Blend colors together to create an unreadable brown mess?
  • ???
Also where does the color come from?
  • Each module specifies a custom color, so different tier (modded) speed modules, "god" modules or whatever could each have a different color.
  • Colors are based on effects and effect strength. As there are only 4 effects this would limit the color spectrum, but be better readable for the player because no matter what mod provides the module, "+ 100% speed" will always look the same.
  • ???
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

sorahn
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by sorahn »

Because I don't really care for beacons. Mind you, that is what alt-mode module icons are for.
I don't really like them either, I was really excited to see the the inbuilt beacons mod :)
What happens if there are different types of modules in the same machine? Modded machines can have lots of slots.

Stripes. Zebra machines?
Blend colors together to create an unreadable brown mess?
???
Thats why I don't think the machine should change color, just the lightning effects on the beacons.
At some point if you had many different types of colors in there, and they all added together you'd just end up with white light on it. Not terrible looking. But for the majority of vanilla players you'd see blue, green, or yellow.
Also where does the color come from?

Each module specifies a custom color, so different tier (modded) speed modules, "god" modules or whatever could each have a different color.
I Supposed thats up to the mod authors
Colors are based on effects and effect strength. As there are only 4 effects this would limit the color spectrum, but be better readable for the player because no matter what mod provides the module, "+ 100% speed" will always look the same
Yeah, most vanilla beacon builds would just be tinted blue. Maybe thats an argument against it.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

eradicator wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:29 pm
My gut instinct is that would be a problem for those mods to solve. Like crafting tints, it would be "opt in".

But a solution might indeed be to have the effects produce the colours, since mods can't define new effects. Yer actual crafting tints can define up to four tints at once - primary through to quaternary - which are mixed together in different layers of the working visualisation. Mods can choose whether to use any of the four tints, all four, or any combination - they just have to create the sprite layers for them. The same would be true for mod machines and "module tints" - if a mod machine doesn't specify that working vis layers use the module/effect tints, they just aren't shown.

Mind you, would I be bothered at this point to do a whole load of new artwork for a bunch of machines just to colour them according to modules inserted, especially when certain effects tends to go together, e.g. pollution and productivity ... Probably not if I'm honest.

Brown lightning it is, then.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”