Why is there no Paste UI Button when importing Blueprints?

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

GregoriusT
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Why is there no Paste UI Button when importing Blueprints?

Post by GregoriusT »

When exporting Blueprints there is a convenient Copy Button in the UI, why is there no Paste Button when importing?

Short and simple, but because I recently had a Situation where I copied 8 Blueprints over from one instance to another, I would also like a Bulk Copy/Paste Feature too, where you first insert the Blueprints into the bulk Export, and then import all of them in one single Transfer.

And now I'm gonna also report a Bug about this Feature in the proper Bug Reports Section ofcourse. (It is about the Copy Feature being broken on Kubuntu/xclip)
Don't underestimate Landmines!
Biters bite, Spitters spit, Spawners spawn and Worms... worm? - No, they throw their vomit! They even wind up to directly hurl it at you! friggin Hurlers...

Hornwitser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Why is there no Paste UI Button when importing Blueprints?

Post by Hornwitser »

I've wondered about the same. But taking this further, why even give a text box to write into? Even the simplest of blueprints are 200 characters of random mixed case jumble for which a single mistake makes it invalid. The import string button should just import directly from the clipboard if there's a valid blueprint string there (fallback to text box should probably still be a thing due to the way those things work on Linux/Mac.)

Nemo4809
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Nemo4809 »

I'm guessing, the developers forgot and assumed that everyone was familiar with the paste keyboard command (Control-v on Windows and Command-v(?) on MacOS) which does work.

GregoriusT
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GregoriusT »

Ofcourse Ctrl+C/V do work, which is the reason for having a Text Box to write into in the first place in case the Copy or (future) Paste UI Button don't work on that particular OS, or due to some random Hardware configuration for handicapped people (or that Middle Mouse Button = Paste functionality most Linux Distros have by default).

And I do use those Keyboard Shortcuts in said Textboxes just fine, though I prefer the Copy Button, since I wont have to select all the Text manually, just like I would prefer a Paste Button, since i need to click inside the Textbox regardless to paste there.

As for the length of Blueprint Strings, they are typically so long that my Desktop hangs for a few seconds when I select one of them, due to the xclip Widget being on the same Thread as the entire rest of the Desktop. I wish KDE would split widgets over Threads, so that such things cant happen, but that's unrelated to Factorio.
Don't underestimate Landmines!
Biters bite, Spitters spit, Spawners spawn and Worms... worm? - No, they throw their vomit! They even wind up to directly hurl it at you! friggin Hurlers...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”