Offshore rework

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

leadraven
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Offshore rework

Post by leadraven »

Draw up my post in FFF discussion as a suggestion.
  1. Pump can transform into Fluid Wagon Crane for free.
    New Offshore Pump looks like Pump.
    2+2=4. Make "Offshore Pump" an another form of regular Pump.
  2. To solve once and for all the problem of energy-free pump, add Offshore Power Generator as initial tech instead of Offshore Pump and Steam Power. It also will simplify burner->electric transition.
    I think it is much better than "Burner Offshore Pump".
  3. Make Steam Power a tech after Fluid Handling (it makes sense, and requires Pump).
As a bonus:
  • Fix "Fluid Handling" to require "Logistics 1" instead of "Automation 2".
  • Reduce Pump throughput, maybe.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Offshore rework

Post by mrvn »

What's wrong with having the (electric) offshore pump start with some power when placed so it pumps enough water to get boilers going?

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

mrvn wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:10 am
What's wrong with having the (electric) offshore pump start with some power when placed so it pumps enough water to get boilers going?
I have once the blackout, no more coal, no more steam, no more electric energy. In this situation also no water.
So we are need the void-powered offshore pump to restart the factory after such blackout.
leadraven wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:01 am
I think it is much better than "Burner Offshore Pump".
Nah, thanks.

leadraven
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by leadraven »

mrvn wrote:
It will be very frustrating in early game, while here are no other sorces of electric power. To reset factory after blackout you'll have to mine and rebuild pump.
Or. New player places pump, it works, and suddenly stops. I would not understand what is going on.

dimm
Inserter
Inserter

Post by dimm »

darkfrei wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:20 am
So we are need the void-powered offshore pump to restart the factory after such blackout.
Or electric-powered offshore pump which run at 10% without electricity and at 100% when power restored.

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

dimm wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:53 pm
Or electric-powered offshore pump which run at 10% without electricity and at 100% when power restored.
I agree. That 10 % or 1 % could be from hand cranking like it is possible to mine ores with pickaxe.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

leadraven wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:20 pm
mrvn wrote:
It will be very frustrating in early game, while here are no other sorces of electric power. To reset factory after blackout you'll have to mine and rebuild pump.
Or. New player places pump, it works, and suddenly stops. I would not understand what is going on.
You also have to go mine some coal and put it in the boilers. Not really different.

You might also still have water in the boilers, just no coal. Pumps could have a high priority, maybe even above lasers. That way they would be the last to go.

As for "I would not understand what is going on." that would be what the campain is for. Was for? Well, researching electricity could have a tutorial on how to use it. Its something you have to know for sure. If you place it without power pole you get water, the water becomes steam, the steam becomes electricity and the electricity is consumed. Then't you have a blackout and need to remove the pump to fix it. The pump tutorial just has to be clear on this aspect that the pump needs to be placed after the electric pole so it gets power to pump more than a bucket full of water. If you are told about it then it should stop being a mystery.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Well, all that was discussed several times before. I don’t think this brings in new aspects... :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”