Background image for null space tiles

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

regress
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by regress »

Add a simple background for null space in Ribbon worlds (with optional slow scroll, repeating, etc)

Concept
Add simple background images for null space in ribbon world. If you want to be fancy do 3 layer with parallax.
Ideas:
  • Simple starfield (windows 3.11 screen saver style)
  • Planets + Moon
  • Green grid / VR simulation
Rough example:

Why?
  • Because I when play ribbon worlds (my fav) I imagine them as Halo-esque ringworlds and staring off the edge of one should be either space or something
  • Infinite blackness feels like an unfinished aspect of the game.
  • While Factorio is extremely concerned about performance this was done effectively on NES era hardware so it should be possible without hurting anything too much and (I conjecture) reasonably small dev effort. I'm not sure about the last part anymore after reading about water updates :D

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Background image for null space tiles

Post by ssilk »

I like that and I immediatelly had a cool idea:

The map of the ground-planet as background for the space-station.

In more technical words: The possibiliyt to see the map-view of any surface as background. At position X,Y with Zoom-Level Z In W resolution with/out clouds, through blur-filter with params.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

regress
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by regress »

ssilk wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:53 pm
I like that and I immediatelly had a cool idea:

The map of the ground-planet as background for the space-station.

In more technical words: The possibiliyt to see the map-view of any surface as background. At position X,Y with Zoom-Level Z In W resolution with/out clouds, through blur-filter with params.
I hadn't considered this because either:
  • We're on the inside of the ring and the orthogonal view prevents us from looking up and ever seeing the map around us
or
  • We're on the outside of the ring and all we can see is the back of our ring in the background. This second option would be easy and awesome but wouldn't make use of the map
It's a long way from a simple static starfield but I'm straining my brain to find a way to put the map of the current world in the background that makes sense geometrically because I agree this would be really cool and the map is already there. But just throwing the map in the background would eat away at me because:

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Well, You’re right, but I thought just to the graphical effect. Think to special scenarios, cut-scenes etc.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”