Move Mod Settings

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

MakeItGraphic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Move Mod Settings

Post by MakeItGraphic »

Every time I goto edit the Mod Settings my brain just oh ok Mods ---> Mod Settings.

When I first started playing again this month it took me awhile to even figure it out.

I can't be the only one thinking it is a really odd place to put it now the mod UI is all prettied up.
Mod_Portal.png
Mod_Portal.png (74.46 KiB) Viewed 1860 times

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Move Mod Settings

Post by ssilk »

Ah, yes. I would not see it as extra tab (would be better than yet of course). In my eyes It would be really helpful to add a link to the different settings-pages (up to three buttons) of a mod from the manage tab.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

MakeItGraphic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MakeItGraphic »

ssilk wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:16 am
Ah, yes. I would not see it as extra tab (would be better than yet of course). In my eyes It would be really helpful to add a link to the different settings-pages (up to three buttons) of a mod from the manage tab.
Mod_Portal2.png
Mod_Portal2.png (89 KiB) Viewed 1846 times
Seems really dirty to me, you'd need a back button, and then true links would mean two places and it becomes convoluted sort, of like my grammar is.
Mod_Portal3.png
Mod_Portal3.png (37.72 KiB) Viewed 1846 times
I was thinking more like this, but it would make more sense as Manage | Settings | Install | Updates

conn11
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by conn11 »

Since changing mod settings dose require restarting, it’s much better placed in the mod tab.
I could download, update and customize mods and finish all by restarting once. In an ongoing session, you can‘t alterate mod options anyhow. So there wouldn’t be anything lost. Excellent suggestion.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Mod settings are a combination of all mods settings shown at once spread across 3 tabs, showing them per-mod in the mods GUI doesn't make sense.

Additionally letting you edit them before a mod is actually installed and integrated with the rest of the mod(s) doesn't work with how the entire game is programmed; you have to actually finish the install and restart the game before they can be edited through the in-game methods.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

MakeItGraphic wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:52 am
ssilk wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:16 am
Seems really dirty to me, you'd need a back button, and then true links would mean ..
Ah, no not like so. I thought more to links. Where you open the modsetting as window and jump to the right position. As Rseding pointed out....
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

MakeItGraphic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MakeItGraphic »

So a symlink, I could live with that. Click settings in mods opens Mod Settings gui in settings menu.

conn11
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by conn11 »

MakeItGraphic wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:48 am
So a symlink, I could live with that. Click settings in mods opens Mod Settings gui in settings menu.
And prompting a game restart, depending on what you have done previously. I fear, this might cause confusion for inexperienced players.

MakeItGraphic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MakeItGraphic »

conn11 wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:19 am
MakeItGraphic wrote:
And prompting a game restart, depending on what you have done previously. I fear, this might cause confusion for inexperienced players.
I don't see how if it just jumps you to the same menu had you done it the other way, same amount of clicks too. Just a QoL thing. As it is now I don't think the game warns you in .18 if you modify the 'Startup' options it will restart if you modify them.

As for installing mods, just grey out the settings tab. Could have a tooltip on hover that says "mods have changed, hit continue to restart" if there are no other mods to be changed it would be nice to jump to mod settings modify startup of other mods, jump back to mods delete any, and or install and confirm

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Some mod settings are available during a game from the Esc menu.

The mods page isn't.

Do the math.

MakeItGraphic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MakeItGraphic »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:59 am
Some mod settings are available during a game from the Esc menu.

The mods page isn't.

Do the math.
ehhh, title misleading just want a link to settings in mods, will still be everywhere else

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

No-one does that for anything ever. Terrible idea.

It's hard enough to get players to acknowledge the existing of per-map and per-player settings without replicating them all over the place, making them think they're not accessible from the game menu because they saw it on the mods page.

Just re-train yourself instead of suggesting things that suit your particular rut.

conn11
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by conn11 »

MakeItGraphic wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:29 am
conn11 wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:19 am
MakeItGraphic wrote:
I don't see how if it just jumps you to the same menu had you done it the other way, same amount of clicks too. Just a QoL thing. As it is now I don't think the game warns you in .18 if you modify the 'Startup' options it will restart if you modify them.
True, but given the technical limitation Rseding posted, I can't see that much of a QoL Improvement.
Sure if you know what you are doing, than get potentially some additional information aout of it, but without, as you pointed out reducing any steps.
On the other hand by loosing the clear mechanic of prompting a restart only by hitting confirm.
As for installing mods, just grey out the settings tab. Could have a tooltip on hover that says "mods have changed, hit continue to restart" if there are no other mods to be changed it would be nice to jump to mod settings modify startup of other mods, jump back to mods delete any, and or install and confirm

This has of course it's benefits, but depending on what mods were updated or freshly installed, the usecase would be severly limited. To the point were at least in my humble opinion I can't see any real benefit from going to the setting menu, although it's a few clicks more.

What might be more helpful, is switching the color of the confirm button from green to yellow or some other color once restart requiering alterations in the mod or mod settting tab were made. Probably with an exploration popup by hovering over it or some small warning message beside it.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”