Car Improvements

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

falk
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Car Improvements

Post by falk »

The car is initially a very nice navigation tool for long distances, but once the player gets his hands on enough exosqueletons the car becomes pretty much useless. And then, there are also trains.

Another thing, the car should not be dragged by transport belts.

1. There should be car upgrades on the tech tree, which improves its acceleration and top speed.
2. The car should not be dragged by transport belts. (could also be a one time tech research)

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Car Improvements

Post by ptx0 »

in mods with vehicle equipment grid you can put belt immunity in there. it will stop riding on belts.

if you research and build rocket fuel, this is faster than solid fuel which is faster than coal/wood.

nuclear fuel is even faster than rocket fuel.

netmand
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by netmand »

falk wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:54 pm
the car becomes pretty much useless.
Lord no! I use the automobile through-out the entire game. Nothing shuttles large amounts of items like the car, tank is close but slower, and train is only good if you've laid track nearby. And like previously mentioned, it looks like you haven't discovered the use of better fuels to go faster.

For improvements to automobile, I'd like to see:
- Better steering
- deflection at shallow angles instead of collision causing complete stoppage

varundevan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by varundevan »

netmand wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:57 pm
falk wrote:
Lord no! I use the automobile through-out the entire game. Nothing shuttles large amounts of items like the car, tank is close but slower, and train is only good if you've laid track nearby. And like previously mentioned, it looks like you haven't discovered the use of better fuels to go faster.

- Better steering
better steering ,
that i need very badly (actually i made a suggestion for including mecanum wheels)

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

use vehiclesnap mod and set it to snap to fewer than 16 directions.

falk
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by falk »

netmand wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:57 pm
falk wrote:

- Better steering
The car is very good if you're looking for a secondary inventory.
But at some point, once you get Power Armor Mk.2 and equip it with 5 or 6 exosqueletons and logistic robots to manage your inventory, the drawbacks of steering the car through obstacles and managing its inventory is not worth the little to no speed difference you get from driving the car.

If i'm going to cautiously drive the car instead of just running around with "WASD", I expect to be significantly faster when using the car. And that is not the case in the late game.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I would also expect that, but the car gets then very dangerously to drive (my opinion). I tried it out.
In that state your factory is normally very improved, many obstacles for the car. Some automatic driving assist is needed. But that also needs you to pave streets to ride on etc. in short: in the late game the car becomes more and more impractical. I think that is not really changeable without making general game changes, which will not happen this year.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

netmand
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by netmand »

I didn't really mean to get into the weeds of how we kit-out our armor sets. The fact of the matter is that I use the automobile in the entire game, including the late game, so it isn't useless.

varundevan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by varundevan »

if it were like a jump speeder (like in star wars) ,
it would be great

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo »

The car is just too realistic. It steers like a real car with cursor keys instead of a steering wheel.
The car should turn like the tank. It should also accellerate and break faster.
An entity GUI setting and hotkeys for limiting maximum speed would also be nice.
The partially burnt fuel should not be lost when vehicles are mined - so nucular fuel becomes a non-wasteful option.

And VehicleSnap needs to be assimilated into vanilla of course.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

The game is also about mastering the vehicles. It's a lot of fun to drive full speed through a landscape constantly changing direction. It's a game in itself.

@netmand: I didn't say it becomes useless. But it becomes to the end more useless than compared to the moment when you first get it.
Ahm. Useless is a stupid word here. "Usefulness" is perhaps more what I mean.

varundevan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by varundevan »

ssilk wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:00 pm
The game is also about mastering the vehicles. It's a lot of fun to drive full speed through a landscape constantly changing direction. It's a game in itself.

@netmand: I didn't say it becomes useless. But it becomes to the end more useless than compared to the moment when you first get it.
Ahm. Useless is a stupid word here. "Usefulness" is perhaps more what I mean.
as it is mentioned , after a point (exoskeleton) in the game ,
if the car is not being used or being used less (or "usefulness" is reduced) or not being used at all, and it is going to sit there simply, it is useless. :D
usefulness is a brilliant word btw

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

ssilk wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:01 am
I would also expect that, but the car gets then very dangerously to drive (my opinion). I tried it out.
In that state your factory is normally very improved, many obstacles for the car. Some automatic driving assist is needed. But that also needs you to pave streets to ride on etc. in short: in the late game the car becomes more and more impractical. I think that is not really changeable without making general game changes, which will not happen this year.
How about what AAI vehicles allows: Using the biter AI to steer the car to some point on the map.

We've build a rocket that flew to another planet. Surely we can make a self driving car. :)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Would really love that. Because that would fill the gap between belts and train. And would enable super interesting things with cars driving like crazy through your factory (driving you over of course). I would like that. :D

Xeorm
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Xeorm »

I would not be opposed to a new recipe with slightly higher speeds, but better crash momentum so you can go right through rocks and the like. No more night trees or rocks bringing me to a dead stop when I'm exploring in the car. Bonus points for shielding so that I don't have to step out and repair every so often too.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

ssilk wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:36 pm
Would really love that. Because that would fill the gap between belts and train. And would enable super interesting things with cars driving like crazy through your factory (driving you over of course). I would like that. :D
I was just thinking about the manual control. You select a car (or get in) and then point and click where you want to go.

But sure, set up waypoints and have cars follow a route back and forth. AAI can do that now too. But I think that goes a bit beyond vanilla.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”