quick start inventory templates

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

quick start inventory templates

Post by ptx0 »

TL;DR
give some vanilla starter packs for freeplay rail world building
What ?
the idea would be to have an option during Freeplay map generation to start with a certain subset of items, like a Rail world starter pack that gives you some stations/signals/rail/rolling stock.
Why ?

I searched first, and found only this: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6938&p=54239&hilit= ... ory#p54239

it's not just something that only mods should implement, it would be nice to have "sanctioned" starter kits other than the uber basic stone furnace and burner miners. after about 5000 hours in game, I really don't like the beginning grind - it's okay sometimes, when it's what you're looking for, but usually I just want to begin building rail right at the beginning of the game without having to build a starter base that is in the way later - most maps have infinite space, but not a ribbon, for instance.

anyway, i figured it would just be a nice thing to bring up again now that it's been 6 years and the game is less in alpha state, final polishings are happening, and maybe Freeplay could use some new starting options.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: quick start inventory templates

Post by ssilk »

You might have a look to the mods; I don’t remember starter packs for train, but there are really some, which might bring you further to that.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

MakeItGraphic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MakeItGraphic »

https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Pasukaru/quick-start
Start with one of three kits to jump start your Factorio experience. The kit can be selected in the mod config settings.

Small:
A few belts, burner mining drills and plates.

Medium:
Construction Robots, Personal Roboport, Assembling Machines, Electricity, Car

Big:
Lots of Belt, Poles, Assembling Machine 2's, Logistic Chest (Request/Provider), Roboports, Logistic + Construction Robots and other stuff.
This kit also unlocks all technologies required by the logistics system.
Similar concept you could more then likely modify it locally for personal use if you just wanted the items not the tech, and add or remove items based on what you want. Is essentially a template for your templates xD

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

ssilk wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:36 am
You might have a look to the mods; I don’t remember starter packs for train, but there are really some, which might bring you further to that.
it is hella overwhelming to a new user to find what we want in there. there's no quality vetting for the mods, which is why it's a simple request for vanilla to satisfy.

Pat4yczek
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Pat4yczek »

Or good idea is to make toolbelt blueprint, where you can Save and load shortcuts

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

ptx0 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:42 am
ssilk wrote:
it is hella overwhelming to a new user to find what we want in there. there's no quality vetting for the mods, which is why it's a simple request for vanilla to satisfy.
But how overwhelming would the (already overwhelmed) start of a new game be, if every request for changing the game start conditions would be satisfied?

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

ssilk wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:58 pm
ptx0 wrote:
ssilk wrote:
But how overwhelming would the (already overwhelmed) start of a new game be, if every request for changing the game start conditions would be satisfied?
slippery slope logical fallacy.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

ptx0 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:09 pm
No. I meant: The game configuration is already overwhelming and I doubt that they will add another feature there, which already can be installed as mod.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

ptx0 wrote:
ssilk wrote:
ptx0 wrote:
ssilk wrote:
A.K.A. "Don't implement EVERYBODY's ideas, just MINE."

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

5thHorseman wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:09 am
ptx0 wrote:
ssilk wrote:
ptx0 wrote:
ssilk wrote:
A.K.A. "Don't implement EVERYBODY's ideas, just MINE."
thank you for your brilliant contribution. are you done now?

okay, great.

I don't think the "New Game" dialogue is overwhelming, most new users (including me) started just by clicking "Confirm" on "Default settings" and I didn't bother looking at all the tabs, until my next playthrough - and I still ignored most options. I hunted the ones that were relevant to the aspects I wished to change about my prev. experience. They were iron / copper / coal richness, and I cranked them up.

Next playthrough I wanted to start at some non-zero tech level, and the game did not give me the ability to do this. I installed a mod, which caused the game to crash on startup. I then painfully gave up on the idea until I logged into someone else's server that had a working quick start mod. I used "New Game+" to start a new map without losing my tech level and my pocket inventory. This was a decent middleground, but still, not in the base game, not easy to figure out because of mod interface limitations. It was my first time using mods and I have no idea they show up with a button in the top left or that they need to be enabled or .... you see?

Mods are complicated, noticeably worse than having a dropdown with three templates to choose from - default (none), railworld, and profit. a dropdown most people who aren't looking for it, will never notice.

anyway, thanks for bringing up the "new user being overwhelmed" idea, because I remember being new. do you?

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

ptx0 wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:01 pm
Apparently not.
okay, great.
But thank you for assuming.

My point, which you somehow missed, is that we all have suggestions for the game. My personal one is that train stations should be able to limit the number of trains going to them. Sometimes the developers agree with you and put it in the game. Sometimes they don't, and don't put it in the game. If you still disagree and there's a mod for it, mod it. If there isn't a mod for it or the mods available suck in your opinion, you write one or do without.

I know YOU think that YOUR idea is the best idea for the game but you're going to have to learn eventually that not everybody agrees with you. The developers are apparently in that group. So mod the game and if you think that's too hard for a "newbie" then oh well people don't agree with you on that one either.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

5thHorseman wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:24 am
ptx0 wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:01 pm
Apparently not.
okay, great.
But thank you for assuming.

My point, which you somehow missed, is that we all have suggestions for the game. My personal one is that train stations should be able to limit the number of trains going to them. Sometimes the developers agree with you and put it in the game. Sometimes they don't, and don't put it in the game. If you still disagree and there's a mod for it, mod it. If there isn't a mod for it or the mods available suck in your opinion, you write one or do without.

I know YOU think that YOUR idea is the best idea for the game but you're going to have to learn eventually that not everybody agrees with you. The developers are apparently in that group. So mod the game and if you think that's too hard for a "newbie" then oh well people don't agree with you on that one either.
dunno why you keep repeating yourself, it's not that i don't understand what you're saying, it's that i disagree with you.

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo »

A very similar idea from 2016: Easy start of the freeplay game?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Which btw lead me again to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=16592 and the dozens of mostly really good ideas how to change the game start.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”