Better error message on placing "passive provider chest" ghost where currently iron chest is located

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

fiery_salmon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Better error message on placing "passive provider chest" ghost where currently iron chest is located

Post by fiery_salmon »

An attempt to place passive provider chest ghost over iron chest gets "iron chest in the way" error.

Maybe mention upgrade planner in such cases? At least for me it was a surprise that this nice feature exists.

EDIT: my previous suggestion was result of missing upgrade planner.

And all other variants like other bot chests and wooden/steel chest.

Why? I am starting construction bots and I am not going to get passive provider chests for all items at once. I wanted to schedule seamless upgrade, but attempt to place passive provider chest ghost over iron chest gets "iron chest in the way" error.
Last edited by fiery_salmon on Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Allow placing "passive provider chest" ghost where currently iron chest is located

Post by steinio »

The upgrade planner could be used for this.
Have not tried it out but steel chest -> robochest filter maybe.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Allow placing "passive provider chest" ghost where currently iron chest is located

Post by Deadlock989 »

steinio is right, you use upgrade planner for this.

This isn't just chests - you can't place any ghost on top of a different entity that already exists. e.g. you can't put the ghost of an assembler 3 on top of an assembler 1. IMO it should stay one step removed from just being able to spam upgrades by holding shift, because "upgrading" a large chest to a small chest (e.g. steel to wooden) can create a massive item spill. If you want that to happen it should be a fully conscious decision and the upgrade planner will let you do it if you really want to.

fiery_salmon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by fiery_salmon »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:49 pm
steinio is right, you use upgrade planner for this.

This isn't just chests - you can't place any ghost on top of a different entity that already exists. e.g. you can't put the ghost of an assembler 3 on top of an assembler 1. IMO it should stay one step removed from just being able to spam upgrades by holding shift, because "upgrading" a large chest to a small chest (e.g. steel to wooden) can create a massive item spill. If you want that to happen it should be a fully conscious decision and the upgrade planner will let you do it if you really want to.
I have no problem with allowing to place ghost of steel chest over wooden chest but being unable to do the reverse.

Thanks for the upgrade planner hint! I will change suggestion to match what I discovered thank to your comments.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”