Tierd alert sounds

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

conn11
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Tierd alert sounds

Post by conn11 »

TL;DR
Introduce different sets of the entitiy destroyed alert.

What ?
Depending on the destroyed entity play one of two alert sounds. The newly implemented "chim" (or the older variant) alert for millitary stuff and a more recognizable for all other. Possibly with usage of a seperate icon.

Examplarery:
alert.zip
credit "classic" Factorio
(12.74 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
Why ?
Walls, con-bots and occaisonally turrets get destroyed quite regularly. Though sad for the poor bots, in a proper defense network, replacement is automated. On the other hand once defense got breached, a player might want to recat immediately.
Without an alert log, one way to differentiate in 0.17 was the frequnecy of the alert sounds (I don`t know how the new 18.2 alert works in this usecase).
But there are other entities outside the defensive layer, like rails, or power poles (I'm sometimes too lacy build dedicated powerplants), which might be a little bit more critical. I'ved often encounterd production shortages, caused by an stopped or destroyed train. Warning of wiched got lost, due to "spam" alerts about destroyrd bots and walls.
This suggestion could add audio feedback, without loosing information, like mute alerts for walls etc. would do.

I propose the use of the default alert sound for the military tab and construction bots exept, radars, silos and maybe artillery turrets. And a more recognisable for the rest. Maybe customisability can be implemented without overcrowding the options for such an minor mechanic. At least a toggleable alert sound for destroyed landmines, wich depending on the usecase, can yield no additonal information over the "turret engage warning", should be present.

Edit on customizability: option for toggle from above metioned entities to only building (like assemblers, chem-plants, ...) should do the trick for belted defenses or flamethrower turret arrays.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”