Max Energy Capacity

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Jan11
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Max Energy Capacity

Post by Jan11 »

Hi

I wish there would be a calculated amount for energy production. Until now there is the display for production and consumption and I it shows me yes you have enough energy to build more or not but it shows me never my max energy production. (and please don`t remove it)
I still have to calculate it. Please add for each energy production line (coal, solar, etc.) the max production capacity.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Max Energy Capacity

Post by ssilk »

But the currently max. available energy depends on how much steam can be produced/how much light falls on the solar cells.
Or do you mean the amount of max. energy production ?
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

The max "theoretical" power production is already shown by the full Production bar.
Which IMHO should also be shown as a number next to the bar, as having 2 identical numbers on both lines seems pointless ?
Another issue is how it only seems to use the current solar production, rather than the maximum possible one.
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

BlueTemplar wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:52 am
The max "theoretical" power production is already shown by the full Production bar.
If I build 1k steam engines but no burners, what will be my maximum theoretical power production ?
Same question if I build 500 burners and 1k steam engines, but don't feed them with water at all ?
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Huh, I thought that it would be "1k steam engines - worth" in both cases -
(it's "theoretical", so wouldn't go further than the last step : the *actual* electric power producer,
what if I don't have enough coal miners / offshore pumps to supply the boilers ?
what if I only have enough charge (and high throughput) in my accumulators to last a single second ?)
- but production doesn't actually seem to work that way !

It seems to depend on whether there is any steam in the engines, and the temperature of that steam :

I guess that's another way to consider "maximum" power production, but is it the most useful one ?

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Solar cells have 2 maximums: The power they can produce at this time of day and the power they can produce at noon.
Similar steam engines have: The power they can produce at the current steam level and the power they could produce with full steam.

Seems to me to be a pretty similar problem so should have the same solution. The energy production side of the display has few entries. So maybe it could be split in two. One showing bars for how much is produced in relation to currently available potential. The other shows bar for the currently available potential in relation to the maximal potential.

So a solar cell would have a bar going fro 0% to 100% depending solely on the time of day. Steam engines would have a bar going from 0% (no steam) to 100% (influx of steam >= consumption).

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

mrvn wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:02 pm
Similar steam engines have: The power they can produce at the current steam level and the power they could produce with full steam.
They either have steam and burn it or don't have it and don't. The level doesn't matter, this ON/OFF transition happens in a couple of ticks. (The temperature does matter, but it's hardly relevant for vanilla.)
mrvn wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:02 pm
Seems to me to be a pretty similar problem so should have the same solution. The energy production side of the display has few entries. So maybe it could be split in two. One showing bars for how much is produced in relation to currently available potential. The other shows bar for the currently available potential in relation to the maximal potential.
Could keep it as a single section, but have 2 bars for each entry in the production list ?
(A bit like completion and productivity bonus do when opening an assembler.)

Note that you already have this bar in the tooltip when hovering over a solar panel.
So a solar cell would have a bar going fro 0% to 100% depending solely on the time of day. Steam engines would have a bar going from 0% (no steam) to 100% (influx of steam >= consumption).
I'd rather prefer "what is produced and consumed now" compared to "the theoretical maximum".
(And it would be nice to see these 2 bars too on the consumption side for accumulators !)

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”