Train Stop Tags

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

AdamK
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Train Stop Tags

Post by AdamK »

Koub wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:02 am
AdamK wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 8:18 pm
My proposal has same name, but is different.

Previous proposal was for tags to affect schedules. I do not want that, I'd like tags to be independent from schedules, and only act as a aditional layer of managing stations.
Hi,

I've re-read both OP and your suggestion carefully. You are right about the suggestion being different, but I was wondering in what use case one would need both, and they seem to have the same use cases with a slightly different technical implementation. Am I wrong ?
My use case is exactly this: I've set up a game with minimal resources (everything set to as small and as rare as possible). This means that my ore patches are depleted fast, and I'm in almost constant mode of searching for new resources, setting new stations and removing obsolete ones. I have a lot of stations, and often 'have no time' to deal with everything when I see it (need to prioritize). So, I'd like to be able to tag stations, so later when I have more time I can deal with them. This could be ahiveid by pins on the map, but I find them not easily visible and not searchable :(

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

AdamK wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:47 am
Koub wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:02 am
AdamK wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 8:18 pm
My proposal has same name, but is different.

Previous proposal was for tags to affect schedules. I do not want that, I'd like tags to be independent from schedules, and only act as a aditional layer of managing stations.
Hi,

I've re-read both OP and your suggestion carefully. You are right about the suggestion being different, but I was wondering in what use case one would need both, and they seem to have the same use cases with a slightly different technical implementation. Am I wrong ?
My use case is exactly this: I've set up a game with minimal resources (everything set to as small and as rare as possible). This means that my ore patches are depleted fast, and I'm in almost constant mode of searching for new resources, setting new stations and removing obsolete ones. I have a lot of stations, and often 'have no time' to deal with everything when I see it (need to prioritize). So, I'd like to be able to tag stations, so later when I have more time I can deal with them. This could be ahiveid by pins on the map, but I find them not easily visible and not searchable :(
Your initial post come across to me like the other as well, so I think this helps.

Just to summarize to make sure I have understood: You want the ability to mark, or “tag”, a train station for later follow-up actions in a manner that is searchable.

As I can see uses for this outside of train stations, wouldn’t asking for map labels to be searchable make more sense?
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Again: The description (what) of AdamK let it completely open how to implement this. As the first suggestion. The why and the follow-up discussions explains it a little bit better, but as myself being also a programmer, I would feel me with this description completely free to implement something that can solve both. Or none. Or make something that solves the problem without tags.

Writing good suggestions looks simple, but is hard, because I need to think from the sight of another person, that doesn’t know anything about what’s in my head.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

I think this could be solved by a (mostly easy) mod that adds a dummy train stop entity with the existing graphics and makes the vanilla train stop an invisible, non-colliding entity managed by the mod. Now hear me out.

Say I have a station that needs to unload iron plates and copper plates. So I place a mod train stop there. I open up the GUI and set the number of "tags" to 2. This will place 2 invisible vanilla train stops at the location, each one named according to the tag. I set the first tag to "unload iron places" and the second "unload copper plates". That means trains for both items will arrive at the mod train stop for unloading.

Now the mod would also wire together all the invisible vanilla train stops with the mod train stop. For each tag you can open up the train stop GUI and set all the normal vanilla train stop option. For example enable the "unload iron plates" stop when "iron plates > 0". Same for the "unload copper plates" stop with "copper plates".

Only problem would be the train limit. It would be easy to set a train limit for each tag. But setting a limit for whole station is tricky (maybe impossible to make perfect). The problem is that when one train targets the "unload iron plate" stop you have to decrease the train limit for the "unload copper plate" stop. Doing it via circuit logic has a delay and will have too many trains arriving sometimes. The mod would have to listen to train schedule events and each time check if it affects one of the stations it needs to manage the train limit for. Getting the train limit right I believe would be the only difficult bit in this.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”