highlight where the signal problem is

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Olacken
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: highlight where the signal problem is

Post by Olacken »

I would like to know what are your minimum requirement for somthing to become popular.

And also if you are using train signal you should use the debug option to show them on the minimap it would make things easier.

bombcar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bombcar »

Realistically there are a few options that I can think of:
  1. A "no path" train can have a (debug or hover over) option where it "flows out" on all rails until it can't go any further - basically a paint fill - because it couldn't find a path it has no way of knowing which "path" would work, but looking at a map view it would probably give the player a hint (as the player knows what route he expects the train to take).
  2. A "no path" train would try to path ignoring signals and "highlight" the route that works with signals ignored - and any signals that had to be ignored. I suspect this is close to what the requestor is asking for, and similar to what people do when it happens (hit manual mode, hop in, begin driving until you see a signal error).
  3. A "unexpected" alert or something that finds places where the game doesn't expect to see a 2 way to 1 way transition. This would require more code, but basically if a 2-way rail turns into 1-way without there being a split or similar, or if two 1-ways run into each other in impossible ways, highlight them somehow. The game tries to help here with the white signal placement "hints" but perhaps more could be done. Even something like a "babeep" alert when a signal creates inaccessible rail or there's an off by one or something might help.

planetmaker
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by planetmaker »

Olacken wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:28 pm
I would like to know what are your minimum requirement for somthing to become popular.

And also if you are using train signal you should use the debug option to show them on the minimap it would make things easier.
Popular things need at least 3 votes, from my id, ego, and super-ego. Your opinion suddenly has become popular and I edited my previous post accordingly.

Olacken
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Olacken »

bombcar wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:37 pm
1- Yes it would work it's still be a bunch of work though

2- Although it does seems similar it is not at all when you hit manual and drive you know where you need to go.
But the algorthime doesn't so it would be more similar to hop into a drive and take all possible turn at each intersection( ignoring signals) until you find the mistake.
And that's without saying that even if it does find a way it doesn't guaranty that it's a path where the mistake is it could just go the other way arround ignoring that the path is supposed to be taken the other way.
And that's considering simple train network the more complexe the train network the least usefull it would become( that even apply for the previous point), considering that the more complexe the train network is the more usefull it is to have a debug tool for your train network.

3- Yeah that could work and isn't necessarly hard to do but it could alert you if you build your signal the right way just not in the order the game wan't so an alert maybe but certainly not an alarm it would be way too anoying (even the alert would be) and that's without counting on robot building order.

Having said that I'm still against it the game already go out of is way to forbid you from making mistake (The white thing is not just an indicator it forbid you from placing signal on any other rail) those mistake are really easy to find like you said you just need to hop onto a loco and try it yourself.
Or just look at where the mistake could be and work your way through from the more obvious to the less obvious, you can even use the debug mods to indicate signal if it's not to cheaty for you.
And also Factorio is a game about problem solving what will you do after you have no more problem to solve justt quit the game and find another thing to play.

If you don't agree with my last point you should really tell me why you play factorio or what about train signal make it an anoying problem more than any other in factorio.

Oh and also don't forget that it's not because you want it that it's good for you.

Ps: If you have problem with train signal you could even go on the forum and ask for help people would gladly help you if you really can't find the problem

JimBarracus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JimBarracus »

What might work:
1. check if there is a rail connection at all (ignore signals)
2. apply the rules of signaling and show the point where the signaling blocks further correct pathfinding.

this shows the clostest point where a train might be able to go. The error should be close to this point.

the game "workers and resources - Soviet Republic" has such a feature and it is quite helpful.
Anyway their train system is a little buggy sometimes and thats why you need it quite often.

varundevan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by varundevan »

bombcar wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:37 pm
  1. A "no path" train can have a (debug or hover over) option where it "flows out" on all rails until it can't go any further - basically a paint fill - because it couldn't find a path it has no way of knowing which "path" would work, but looking at a map view it would probably give the player a hint (as the player knows what route he expects the train to take).
  2. A "no path" train would try to path ignoring signals and "highlight" the route that works with signals ignored - and any signals that had to be ignored. I suspect this is close to what the requestor is asking for, and similar to what people do when it happens (hit manual mode, hop in, begin driving until you see a signal error).
  3. A "unexpected" alert or something that finds places where the game doesn't expect to see a 2 way to 1 way transition. This would require more code, but basically if a 2-way rail turns into 1-way without there being a split or similar, or if two 1-ways run into each other in impossible ways, highlight them somehow. The game tries to help here with the white signal placement "hints" but perhaps more could be done. Even something like a "babeep" alert when a signal creates inaccessible rail or there's an off by one or something might help.
good solutions you have proposed.
The things you said is what i had in mind, this would facilitate train track troubleshooting.
Thanks. :|

varundevan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by varundevan »

JimBarracus wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:20 am
What might work:
1. check if there is a rail connection at all (ignore signals)
2. apply the rules of signaling and show the point where the signaling blocks further correct pathfinding.

this shows the clostest point where a train might be able to go. The error should be close to this point.

the game "workers and resources - Soviet Republic" has such a feature and it is quite helpful.
Anyway their train system is a little buggy sometimes and thats why you need it quite often.
Thanks for pointing it out, some posts almost made me think what i have suggested is new to gaming industry.
does this game Workers and Resources , also has signals to works with ?

JimBarracus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JimBarracus »

varundevan wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:43 am
does this game Workers and Resources , also has signals to works with ?
Yes, they have normal and chain signals. Basically just like factorio.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”