Let the car and tank move like the player (omnidirectional wheels)

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

varundevan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Let the car and tank move like the player does

Post by varundevan »

ok , i see your point
please suggest a mod which gives car and tank teh mecanum wheels .. :)

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

varundevan wrote: ↑
Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:26 pm
i don't use mods ..
i like to play the original ..
But you specifically said you didn't like the original, when it comes to driving.

That is what mods are for, when you like most of a game but dislike a couple specific parts that others like, and that are unlikely to change.

Which this suggestion is.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:59 am
ok , i see your point
I can see only one way: change player's character to the car. Yes, it's the way how Fallout's underground subway works.

Or just wait for spidertron.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Actually, didn't notice that this was posted on the wrong subforum. Moving to Ideas and Suggestions.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Electric car with MECANUM WHEELS and fusion reactor

Post by Koub »

Also, not sure what Mechanum is, but what's the difference between this suggestion and this one ?

varundevan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by varundevan »

Koub wrote: ↑
Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:40 am
Also, not sure what Mechanum is, but what's the difference between this suggestion and this one ?
well , mechanum wheel is https://www.google.com/search?q=mecanum ... zLZ4M6X9M:

at first i mistakenly put that under campaign, i do not know how to remove , and there are many reply ....
so i thought this is the right section , and posted it here . Thanks for the follow up Koub.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Oooohhhh nice wheels :)
[Koub] Well, both topics are basically the same, I'm merging them.
Also this is very related to :
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15377
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=21022

Laramy65
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Laramy65 »

I'm honestly surprised the about the positive feedback this idea is getting. For me this would kill the car. It's just so fun, and is also a reason I don't rely on exoskeletons. They feel movement so dry and boring without acceleration and momentum mechanics. Plus, there's certain amount of skill in maneuvering the car around factory.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

darkfrei wrote: ↑
Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:32 am
Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:59 am
ok , i see your point
I can see only one way: change player's character to the car. Yes, it's the way how Fallout's underground subway works.
Nice hack, but I see some problems with it:
  1. Player has inventory and weapons, may also have a grid (with modular/power armor). Cars have inventory, may have weapons (your Crawler, for example, doesn't) and grid (added by a mod like Vehicle Grid). When a player's driving_state changes (enter/leave vehicle), you'd need to keep a list of inventories, grids, and equipped weapons of player and vehicle, and switch between them. That's a lot to keep track of, and it's very likely this will introduce new bugs.
  2. Vehicles based on the "car" prototype may have driver and passenger; they also allow to turn weapons control to either driver or passenger. If one player was the vehicle, he'd assume the role of driver -- but how would you add a passenger? Removing the passenger's character and changing the passenger's player position may work. In case the vehicle is hit so strong that the vehicle is destroyed and its occupants are killed, you'd have to restore the corpse of the passenger's character. That's possible, but again there's a big potential to introduce bugs.
  3. I usually use the word "vehicle" instead of "car" because things like hovercrafts, boats, planes etc. are also based on the "car" prototype. A boat or a plane may "drive" over tiles that the player can't move on (water, cliffs). Before replacing the vehicle with the player, you'd have to check that their collision masks match. That's some more overhead.
  4. Mod interaction: In my mod GCKI, players are allowed to "lock" a vehicle (making it non-active/non-operable/non-minable), ejecting all occupants in the process. They also can summon a vehicle (in effect, teleporting it close to them). This would lead to unexpected results if the vehicle had been replaced with the player. Either your mod would have to keep player and vehicle position in sync so other mods will work in spite of the replaced entities, or you'd require mods that interact with vehicles to do a lot of overhead work. The easy way out would be conflicts against the other mods, but that's obviously not a good option for the players.
Summary: It's a nice idea, but I sincerely hope you'll never make such a mod! :-D
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

We can also add new keybindings for all vehicles, that do actions for example with UHJK instead of WASD.
For example the pressing key "K" adds speed and slowly turns the vehicle to the east. The key "H" decreases the speed and then turns the car to the west and then accelerates the vehicle.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:41 am
I would suggest a all directional movement car with MECANUM WHEELS that can move how a player moves.
Problem with that is that mecanum wheeled vehicles *don't* move like the player. The player has infinite rotation speed and can only walk "forward". For an MWV the exiting WASD (four keys) input is insufficent. Does "D" mean go right? or rotate right? or drive right but backwards? If your answer is "just instantly rotate the car" then the car becomes just a weird player skin that can only move in 8 directions.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: ζ—₯本θͺž, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

varundevan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by varundevan »

eradicator wrote: ↑
Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:19 pm
I would suggest a all directional movement car with MECANUM WHEELS that can move how a player moves.
Problem with that is that mecanum wheeled vehicles *don't* move like the player. The player has infinite rotation speed and can only walk "forward". For an MWV the exiting WASD (four keys) input is insufficent. Does "D" mean go right? or rotate right? or drive right but backwards? If your answer is "just instantly rotate the car" then the car becomes just a weird player skin that can only move in 8 directions.
yeah, i see your point ..
i think with those kind of wheels, the car does not have to rotate to move right when we press D, so rotation of the car is not needed IMO , however we can have option to rotate the turret mounted on the car ..

seltha
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by seltha »

Laramy65 wrote: ↑
Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:07 am
I'm honestly surprised the about the positive feedback this idea is getting. For me this would kill the car. It's just so fun
100% with you on that, the car is like driving in a good old 2D 8-bit games, brings back great memories from my childhood (and possibly shows my age)... if you want fast WASD movement, put some legs in your power armor!

Olacken
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Olacken »

seltha wrote: ↑
Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:09 am
100% with you on that, the car is like driving in a good old 2D 8-bit games, brings back great memories from my childhood (and possibly shows my age)... if you want fast WASD movement, put some legs in your power armor!
How do I put my 20 roboport in my suit If use legs?
Ok i'm a little bit exagerating I only use 16 roboports

Laramy65
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Laramy65 »

Olacken wrote: ↑
Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:29 pm
seltha wrote: ↑
Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:09 am
How do I put my 20 roboport in my suit If use legs?
Ok i'm a little bit exagerating I only use 16 roboports
have a second power armor in your inventory. they're quite quick to switch out when you need to

Olacken
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Olacken »

Laramy65 wrote: ↑
Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:36 pm
have a second power armor in your inventory. they're quite quick to switch out when you need to
Fair enough

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

Hi,
The navigation in car is super clunky to drive since especially turning left and right is changes with direction of movement.
In my opinion the current driving method is not enjoyable.
Please try this mod:
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/OmniCar

The control uses Up-Arrow for North direction, Right-Arrow to East direction, Down-Arrow for South direction, Left-Arrow to West direction. Keys W and S for acceleration and brake as before.

Moo Rhy
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Moo Rhy »

Main problem for me why playerlike movement is not applicable for vehicles is that vehicles have momentum but the player not. You can instantly change direction and stop. A vehicle behaves different. It will continue going in its current direction until friction stops it or a force changes its direction. When you drive to the left at 100 km/h but decide you want to drive to the right you have to make either a big turn or brake, stop and drive backwards. How would you realise this with a direct control (W = north, D = east ...)? No momentum for vehicles? Does it mean the car will instantly boost to maximum speed and stop when you release all buttons?

I know it is a bit weird that vehicles behave differently. You have to set yourself into the car and change your perspective. It is like driving a RC car in the real world. When the car is coming towards you and you want it to go left you need to steer right.

varundevan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by varundevan »

Moo Rhy wrote: ↑
Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:03 pm
Main problem for me why playerlike movement is not applicable for vehicles is that vehicles have momentum but the player not. You can instantly change direction and stop. A vehicle behaves different. It will continue going in its current direction until friction stops it or a force changes its direction. When you drive to the left at 100 km/h but decide you want to drive to the right you have to make either a big turn or brake, stop and drive backwards. How would you realise this with a direct control (W = north, D = east ...)? No momentum for vehicles? Does it mean the car will instantly boost to maximum speed and stop when you release all buttons?

I know it is a bit weird that vehicles behave differently. You have to set yourself into the car and change your perspective. It is like driving a RC car in the real world. When the car is coming towards you and you want it to go left you need to steer right.
it shall have momentum , and it shall break and slow down like the normal vehicles.. The direction is control can be like the player ..
There are some concept mecanum wheels RC cars .. which behave like how the player moves in the game ..
This could make driving combating and playing experience more fun .. instead of hitting and destroying the things around.. (there shall be a research so that people can opt out those if they don't want)...

HDL_CinC_Dragon
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by HDL_CinC_Dragon »

I just wanted to +1 in favor of the current driving mechanism. To say that it is "not intuitive" is very strange to me. A vehicle turns based on where it is facing. A right turn is a right turn from the perspective of the vehicle. I think if it steered based on how you're looking at the vehicle rather than how the vehicle is oriented, I would never be able to drive it. I would always turn incorrectly unless I was driving due north.

If they do ever implement this change for some reason, I seriously hope they make it an option in the settings. I'd even pay for a $5 DLC that made it work properly like it does now.

Return to β€œIdeas and Suggestions”