Mobile building platform

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

katyal
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Mobile building platform

Post by katyal »

Hey I know this one is far fetched but lets have platforms that we can build. These platforms can move. The player can program the movement with waypoints or maybe even automate the controls using cc and logistics network . What use would these platforms have? You can build on them. Anything that could be placed on the ground could be placed on one of these platforms. Want a harvester put some chests and a mining drill on it. Patrolling sentry? Put some turrets on it. With some method to place blueprints remotely, you could put supplies and a roboport on a platform and just tell it to go to the blueprint's location.

These would be the first steps towards creating a factory that can expand itself.

immibis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Mobile building platform

Post by immibis »

It doesn't make a ton of sense to move mining drills around like that. Shouldn't they be stuck in the ground?

katyal
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by katyal »

think of it as an oil derrick mounted on treads. Or the platform stops and deploys the drill only moving once its mined all the ores in one spot.

Bleda
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Bleda »

Actually a nice idea, but it comes with a lot of problems, I think. For one part, it might be a big change to how the game engine works. Then you would have to make sure this feature can't be exploited in ways that make the game pointless. And finally, there are practical problems, like how do you wire them up to electricity and how can they connect to pipes? And they would probably be limited to movement in two or four directions.

but it would definitely be cool to build your own custom vehicle with laser turrets and all and let it drive into the next biter nest.

maybe there could be special parts for these platforms, like motors and steering control units. and you need to place a chest and an inserter to provide the motor with fuel etc.

there could be a chainsaw module that cuts down trees in front of it. so you could build an automated forest-cleaner with a bunch of chainsaws and some inserters that take the wood and put it into chests.

Actually, the whole thing could work nicely towards the anounced spacecraft, that you have to build in a similar fashion, if I got it right.

katyal
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by katyal »

I agree the game engine may not be up to doing this but unless we get a dev actually confirming its not possible, I would like to continue exploring this idea.

I could see movement being limited by the grid. In that case it would be a simple matter to reconnect pipes and wires everytime the platform stops with any pipes or poles that happen to be in range... If you need electricity on it while it moves hmm solar or if you need more power ...idk... shove a storage tank on it, fill it with water, add some boilers and a steam engine or two i guess

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”