Highlight Last Train Ghost

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

drdisharonii
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Highlight Last Train Ghost

Post by drdisharonii »

TL;DR
Highlight (or show in different color) the last train car ghost when placing signals or train stops.

What ?
Right now, all of the carriage ghosts are the same white outline. It would be nice to see the last one (based on the length chosen in the settings menu) to be shown in a different color. This would assist quickly placing signals by not having to count the cars but see that the whole train will fit.
Why ?
I believe this helps alleviate a potentially monotonous part of the player experience when placing large networks. Blueprints do help alleviate this, somewhat, but this would be really helpful when working on those bits in between blueprints and ensuring that the system is set up right.

This is my first suggestion, so please feel free to ask for more information.

Thanks.

raspberrypuppies
Inserter
Inserter

QOL: Use a different color for the last train car ghost

Post by raspberrypuppies »

TL;DR
Use a different color or sprite for the last train ghost so we don't need to count when building tight intersections
What ?
My trains are six cars long. Without counting, is this space big enough?
train_no_highlight.jpg
train_no_highlight.jpg (112.26 KiB) Viewed 2438 times
If we highlight the last train car then you can tell at a glance that there's enough space.
train_highlight.jpg
train_highlight.jpg (113.81 KiB) Viewed 2438 times
Why ?
It's annoying to guess and check to place signals in congested intersections. Highlighting the last car makes it much easier.
train_complicated_highlight.jpg
train_complicated_highlight.jpg (211.64 KiB) Viewed 2438 times

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: QOL: Use a different color for the last train car ghost

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Hmm, looks like you more so want the 6th car highlighted, not the last (otherwise in that last image on the track where the 5th car is the last, that should be highlighted).

Strictly speaking, highlighting the “last” car is useless and doesn’t help any, whereas highlighting the 6th car only helps those that build 6 car trains. Anyone who builds trains longer get no benefit, and any that build shorter still have to count in some manor or another.

If the devs want to do it, I’m not opposed, but I would not support advocating them to put their time towards it.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SoShootMe »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 11:57 am
Strictly speaking, highlighting the “last” car is useless and doesn’t help any, whereas highlighting the 6th car only helps those that build 6 car trains. Anyone who builds trains longer get no benefit, and any that build shorter still have to count in some manor or another.
The number of cars shown is a setting; I think by "last" the OP meant whatever that is set to. But numbering the outlines seems a more obvious solution to me, as it also caters for mixed train lengths.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

SoShootMe wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 12:18 pm
FuryoftheStars wrote:
The number of cars shown is a setting; I think by "last" the OP meant whatever that is set to. But numbering the outlines seems a more obvious solution to me, as it also caters for mixed train lengths.
Ah, so it is (and it defaults to 5).

But yes, I agree with the numbering of the spaces instead. I rarely only build 1 size train.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

hackamod
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by hackamod »

+1 For numbers and colors..... to be honest as age sets into the eyes white is too close in color to the rails.... color them all something like that bright pink

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Hmm, looks like you more so want the 6th car highlighted, not the last (otherwise in that last image on the track where the 5th car is the last, that should be highlighted).

If the devs want to do it, I’m not opposed, but I would not support advocating them to put their time towards it.
I didn't get it either at first. The idea is that by setting the number of cars, he's saying "I want to build trains that are X cars long." Highlighting the last car then becomes a quick visual shorthand indicating "Your whole train will fit in this space."

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Kyralessa wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 7:14 pm
FuryoftheStars wrote:

I didn't get it either at first. The idea is that by setting the number of cars, he's saying "I want to build trains that are X cars long." Highlighting the last car then becomes a quick visual shorthand indicating "Your whole train will fit in this space."
Yeah, though even knowing now about the setting, I still feel like this is a specific use case. That case being someone who builds trains of X length 80-90%+ of the time for the life of their game/play and knows about this setting (either you have to dig in the config file for it, or maybe it's available under "the rest" settings, but both of these methods I suspect are not typical for most people).

Silari
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Silari »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 8:17 pm
Yeah, though even knowing now about the setting, I still feel like this is a specific use case. That case being someone who builds trains of X length 80-90%+ of the time for the life of their game/play and knows about this setting (either you have to dig in the config file for it, or maybe it's available under "the rest" settings, but both of these methods I suspect are not typical for most people).
It's in interface settings along with shortcut and quickbar sizes, this isn't anything you need to use the config file for (unless you want more than the allowed 12).

raspberrypuppies
Inserter
Inserter

Numbering the train cars is a good idea. It might be hard to see at large zoom levels. How about making the whole ghost green if it fits?

raspberrypuppies
Inserter
Inserter

Making the whole ghost train change colors when it has enough room would also help new players understand train signal mechanics. It would be more clear that spamming train signals might be a bad idea.

So revised idea, make the train ghost yellow if it doesn't fit, white if it does.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Highlight Last Train Ghost

Post by ssilk »

Found older topic and merged

I still think also adding numbers are very useful.

See also

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=70112 Rail signal placement should show also ghosts in front of the train signal
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Silari wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 12:14 am
FuryoftheStars wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 8:17 pm
It's in interface settings along with shortcut and quickbar sizes, this isn't anything you need to use the config file for (unless you want more than the allowed 12).
Oh ffs, you're right. Must've missed it or forgot about it. :/ Thanks.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”