(not) picking up car

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

planetmaker
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

(not) picking up car

Post by planetmaker »

When you try to pickup your car, but your inventory has just sufficient space to hold the car contents, but not the car itself, then the car is picked-up and immediately dropped to the ground to the ground in minimized form.

I didn't even notice a car could be that small and lost a few cars (as in dropped from my pocket and simply didn't see it in this miniature form, also due to the similarity in colour with the ground) due to this behaviour.

The expected behaviour in my eyes is: don't pickup the car but leave it where it is; this happens already when I cannot pickup the car due to being overloaded with its contents and some remaining in the car. Second best solution: drop it again in the usual maximized form (see screenshots for difference. The attached save will reproduce the behaviour when you pickup the car immediately adjacent to the character).
Attachments
gridded_belt_base_3.zip
(9.72 MiB) Downloaded 60 times
Bildschirmfoto von 2020-01-04 10-53-49.png
Bildschirmfoto von 2020-01-04 10-53-49.png (2.17 MiB) Viewed 2151 times
Bildschirmfoto von 2020-01-04 10-53-59.png
Bildschirmfoto von 2020-01-04 10-53-59.png (2.24 MiB) Viewed 2151 times
Last edited by planetmaker on Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: (not) picking up car

Post by boskid »

Not a bug
79649-mining-with-full-inventory.gif
79649-mining-with-full-inventory.gif (172.11 KiB) Viewed 2145 times

planetmaker
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by planetmaker »

I know that happens for other stuff; and that's the sensible thing to do. Yet for vehicles it feels the wrong thing to do. They remain when you cannot pick them up entirely. Unless you can pickup everything except the vehicle itself.

I understand that it's choosing the lesser of two evils here, though... no way to make it consistent with both cases. Yet I believe that special-casing mining of vehicles is a good thing [TM]

Sad_Brother
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Sad_Brother »

It seems game need clear signal for dropped items.
Warning with special sound would fit.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I'm not sure: There are time, when I really need to remove things. For example a train track is in the way, but a train is on it. I need to remove the train, then the track. No matter if the inventory is full or not, the train must go. :)
With this patch it would stay on the rails. I think not so good idea.
I think more visual and audio feedback would really help. For example: An animation, when the item is "sucked in, minimized and respawnd as miniaturized item on ground". That would help a lot to understand the game mechanism behind this behavior.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

planetmaker
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by planetmaker »

ssilk wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:59 pm
I'm not sure: There are time, when I really need to remove things. For example a train track is in the way, but a train is on it. I need to remove the train, then the track. No matter if the inventory is full or not, the train must go. :)
With this patch it would stay on the rails. I think not so good idea.
I think more visual and audio feedback would really help. For example: An animation, when the item is "sucked in, minimized and respawnd as miniaturized item on ground". That would help a lot to understand the game mechanism behind this behavior.
But... that's not how it works to my experience: there's currently one of two things happening usually, and this particular case just in the middle of them:
a) you have sufficient space for everything: fine, you pickup vehicle cargo + vehicle
b) you have too little space for vehicle cargo: fine, you unload some stuff from the vehicle and it remains with rest of cargo
c) this case: you have exactly enough space for the cargo, but no slot for the vehicle: cargo gets picked-up and vehicle dropped.
So in the vast majority of cases you will either pickup the vehicle or it will remain. There's just this one edge case (c) where neither happens.

Should b) happen, you have to drop some stuff no matter what, into a chest or similar; then pickup again and hope to end-up with case (a).

The "mining with full inventory" dropping stuff thus happens for vehicles only in very rare cases: when they are completely empty and your inventory is full or their cargo fills-up your inventory exactly. So the speed-up in removing vehicles is usually not a given either (I think).

Personally I think it would be ok if you cannot remove something when your inventory is completely full. If so, it would be nice, if I could simply designate some stacks to be dropped to the ground quickly (z drops one item from it, but some rather means to drop a complete stack). That way it will still be possible to quickly remove stuff. But you decide yourself when and what to litter to the ground. Thus you could do like "drop stuff quickly with further ado and pickup". Rinse and repeat until you mined everything you need to.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Good points. :) yeah, I think I never was in that situation....
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Joe78man
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Joe78man »

If you ask me, you should not be able to pick up vehicles. You could load a vehicle in a wagon (there is a mod for that) or it might be interesting if it could be towed by another vehicle, or use the AI mod to move vehicles if needed. I'd love if there was a garage that could automate the loading and setup of vehicles, if ammo and fuel slots were differenciated you could manage and automate it better. I'd love to have a platform that would rotate the vehicle too. Whishing is for free

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”