Enter should always "OK"

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

varundevan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Enter should always "OK"

Post by varundevan »

+1

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

AmericanPatriot wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:05 am
eradicator wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:01 pm
ssilk wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:39 am
That I ask me, if this is really a useful suggestion, if the rest of UI isn’t able to be completely keyboard driven. The better suggestion is IMHO viewtopic.php?f=80&t=4832 Mouse / Touchscreen / Keyboard only interface
Adding support to use the same key for all green buttons - instead of only some - is a much more realistic suggestion than "please redo the whole interface".
Sometimes I wonder if these suggestions are just to sabotage the topic.
I’m sorry if you think so. :roll: I always have reasons, and that I point to my own suggestion is just because I have made so much. :lol:
And I try to explain: I’m just against a wild mixture of controls (Buttons, lists, input elements), that works sometimes with keyboard and sometimes not. Because I use then only mouse - as most of players will (from my personal observation). This is, because changing from right hand mouse to enter-key is an complicated task. The hand needs to be move around 20-40 cm. It’s much simpler to move the mouse some 2-5 cm and click. Or you use as right-handed player the left hand, which is already at the keyboard, but then you need also to move 20-30 cm and then the angle of left arm is a bit uncomfortable.

Yes, it would be much easier to fix that enter is always ok. But fixing this is more or less useless, if maybe only 5-10% of players will use it (mostly left-handed players?), because the rest doesn’t work with keyboard.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

netmand wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:53 pm
The "Enter" key on the keyboard is one of the most if not the most non-specific keys on every keyboard and should never be bound to any sort of definition or assumption. Its use is highly contextual and one of the most powerful keys for control and interactivity.

I believe the complaints around the consistency of proceeding through certain windows is valid, but we should never assume that using Enter is or should be the default way to go.
It's the most powerful and contextual because it is used to proceed. The first paragraph of yours is an argument for enter as "click green".

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

ssilk wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:08 am
AmericanPatriot wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:05 am
eradicator wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:01 pm
ssilk wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:39 am
That I ask me, if this is really a useful suggestion, if the rest of UI isn’t able to be completely keyboard driven. The better suggestion is IMHO viewtopic.php?f=80&t=4832 Mouse / Touchscreen / Keyboard only interface
Adding support to use the same key for all green buttons - instead of only some - is a much more realistic suggestion than "please redo the whole interface".
Sometimes I wonder if these suggestions are just to sabotage the topic.
I’m sorry if you think so. :roll: I always have reasons, and that I point to my own suggestion is just because I have made so much. :lol:
And I try to explain: I’m just against a wild mixture of controls (Buttons, lists, input elements), that works sometimes with keyboard and sometimes not. Because I use then only mouse - as most of players will (from my personal observation). This is, because changing from right hand mouse to enter-key is an complicated task. The hand needs to be move around 20-40 cm. It’s much simpler to move the mouse some 2-5 cm and click. Or you use as right-handed player the left hand, which is already at the keyboard, but then you need also to move 20-30 cm and then the angle of left arm is a bit uncomfortable.

Yes, it would be much easier to fix that enter is always ok. But fixing this is more or less useless, if maybe only 5-10% of players will use it (mostly left-handed players?), because the rest doesn’t work with keyboard.
I take my right hand off the mouse to press enter. It is usually quite fast. I was not aware that anyone used their left hand at all. Sometimes I only stick out my thumb and move the Mouse to the keyboard and just reach over the little border space. This is not inconvenient to do because I like my mouse sensitivity extremely high, and to put the cursor back where it used to be is easy.

I am sorry to accuse you of something that I was not sure you were doing.
Last edited by NotRexButCaesar on Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

Qon wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:03 am
netmand wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:53 pm
The "Enter" key on the keyboard is one of the most if not the most non-specific keys on every keyboard and should never be bound to any sort of definition or assumption. Its use is highly contextual and one of the most powerful keys for control and interactivity.

I believe the complaints around the consistency of proceeding through certain windows is valid, but we should never assume that using Enter is or should be the default way to go.
It's the most powerful and contextual because it is used to proceed. The first paragraph of yours is an argument for enter as "click green".
Yes. It always “enters”(confirms) the input.
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”