GG's Starlog 9 - Crafting Order

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

GG Cannon
Inserter
Inserter

GG's Starlog 9 - Crafting Order

Post by GG Cannon »

Back to Index
Entry Number: 9 - [Creation: 22/11/2019 || Last update: 22/11/2019]
                                                Crafting Order
       -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Being allowed to change the current order of what is being crafted without having to undo and redo your whole crafting order.
    • By pressing Ctrl + Left Mouse Button and dragging to move a single unit of that element
      or
      Using Ctrl + Right Mouse Button to drag all units of that element.
  • Dropping an element on top of another of the same type would fuse them.
    • Ctrl + Shift + Left Mouse Button to split and take a single unit from a grouped element in the crafting order.
      Ctrl + Shift + Right Mouse Button to split and take half of an element from a group.
  • Dragging an element also drags all its pre-requisites needed that are in the crafting order if that element were to be moved before that pre-requisite.
    The inverse also applies, if a pre-requisite item were to be placed after the item that needs it, that item is automatically placed after it.
  • Crafting progress is not lost by moving an item from the top of the crafting order.

Example in the above image:
  • Ctrl + Left or Right Clicking the Power armor and dragging it to the top of the list, as I have all the pre-requisites to it, would move it alone and, if placed before the laser turret finishes crafting, the laser turret would keep its current already elapsed crafting time and continue from there when it gets to its turn again.
  • Ctrl + Left Clicking one of the Laser Turrets in the groups of 4 or 5 would take only a single one, even if placed again, together with 20 circuits and 30 copper wires that would be placed before it.
    • Right Clicking would take the whole group plus all the pre-requisite circuits and copper wires.
  • Ctrl + Shift + Left Clicking on a group of laser turrets would take one laser turret, 20 circuits and 30 copper wires keeping their correct order adding up for every time you click, even if you click another group of laser turrets in the crafting order, while with right click would take half of the group for every click.
    • Trying to move even 1 of the copper wires to the right of the circuits or turrets would move 1 turret and 1 circuits together with it in correct order, but the copper wires could be moved to the left of the load order freely.
    • Inversely, by trying to move the circuits to the left of the copper wires would take the copper wires with it without affecting the turrets in the order, while to the right of the turrets would also move the turrets further right without affecting the copper wires.

| Alternative |

Make it so that:
  • Simple Left or Right Click + Drag moves 1 item or a whole group.
  • Shift + Left or Right Click split one or half of a group.
  • Ctrl + Left or Right Click cancels 1 and 5 items on the crafting order respectively.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: GG's Starlog 9 - Crafting Order

Post by steinio »

Several no's for this suggestion in the past.

Automate instead of hand craft.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

GG Cannon
Inserter
Inserter

Post by GG Cannon »

steinio wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:47 am
Several no's for this suggestion in the past.

Automate instead of hand craft.
I understand that, yet, handcrafting is indeed part of the game and before you can automate, you handcraft a lot.

Sometimes you can give preference to automate bigger and more important things while handcrafting that which does not bother you while going around and doing or building stuff.

I for example have the habit of setting a lot of stuff to craft that I haven't automated yet while planning where I'm gonna do what, how or while going around building, and having to undo and redo my whole crafting order every time because I suddenly find the need for 1 unit of 1 item is really bothersome.

Sometimes I might also just not want to run all the way back to a factory far away to pick a certain stack of an item I only need a little while building a forward post in the wild far from my factory and also face the same problem of having to cancel everything I'm crafting in order to craft that and then recreate my whole crafting order and continue building.

PyroFire
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by PyroFire »

GG Cannon wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:01 pm
  • Being allowed to change the current order of what is being crafted without having to undo and redo your whole crafting order.
    • By pressing Ctrl + Left Mouse Button and dragging to move a single unit of that element
      or
      Using Ctrl + Right Mouse Button to drag all units of that element.
  • Dropping an element on top of another of the same type would fuse them.
    • Ctrl + Shift + Left Mouse Button to split and take a single unit from a grouped element in the crafting order.
      Ctrl + Shift + Right Mouse Button to split and take half of an element from a group.
  • Dragging an element also drags all its pre-requisites needed that are in the crafting order if that element were to be moved before that pre-requisite.
    The inverse also applies, if a pre-requisite item were to be placed after the item that needs it, that item is automatically placed after it.
  • Crafting progress is not lost by moving an item from the top of the crafting order.

Example in the above image:
  • Ctrl + Left or Right Clicking the Power armor and dragging it to the top of the list, as I have all the pre-requisites to it, would move it alone and, if placed before the laser turret finishes crafting, the laser turret would keep its current already elapsed crafting time and continue from there when it gets to its turn again.
  • Ctrl + Left Clicking one of the Laser Turrets in the groups of 4 or 5 would take only a single one, even if placed again, together with 20 circuits and 30 copper wires that would be placed before it.
    • Right Clicking would take the whole group plus all the pre-requisite circuits and copper wires.
  • Ctrl + Shift + Left Clicking on a group of laser turrets would take one laser turret, 20 circuits and 30 copper wires keeping their correct order adding up for every time you click, even if you click another group of laser turrets in the crafting order, while with right click would take half of the group for every click.
    • Trying to move even 1 of the copper wires to the right of the circuits or turrets would move 1 turret and 1 circuits together with it in correct order, but the copper wires could be moved to the left of the load order freely.
    • Inversely, by trying to move the circuits to the left of the copper wires would take the copper wires with it without affecting the turrets in the order, while to the right of the turrets would also move the turrets further right without affecting the copper wires.

| Alternative |

Make it so that:
  • Simple Left or Right Click + Drag moves 1 item or a whole group.
  • Shift + Left or Right Click split one or half of a group.
  • Ctrl + Left or Right Click cancels 1 and 5 items on the crafting order respectively.

Here's some mods that play with the hand craft queue:

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/HandyHands

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/CraftingPriority

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/autocraft_revamped

Sin Count: 3

Sentence: Forced to launch a rocket with https://mods.factorio.com/mod/lazytorio installed

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/HandyHands
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/CraftingPriority
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/autocraft_revamped

*No suggestion is without sin*

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

OP's suggestion has already been suggested in the following threads:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=73272 Priority crafting
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=62338 Double ended crafting queue
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=49361 Rearrange hand craft queue - QOL
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41594 Ctrl+click to add to front of craft queue
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=63092 Reorder crafting
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=63175 Please reverse the craft queue
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=63560 Crafting Priority
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23453 Modifier key: in-hand craft in *front* of queue
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=75108 Swapping around in crafting queue

For the reasons I have stated in those threads, I agree with the OP. Unfortunately, the devs seem to disagree with us.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”