Add a signal connection point in the middle of curved rails (please!)

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

XYZT
Inserter
Inserter

Add a signal connection point in the middle of curved rails (please!)

Post by XYZT »

TL;DR
I want to be able to place signals in the middle of a curved rail piece.
What ?
Currently, this is the situation:

You simply can't place signals on curved rails when the arrows are pointing because there are no connection points. It would be useful to have at least one signal connection point (in the center of the curved piece) on curved rail pieces.

There are some very conveniently located grid points where these signals could be placed:

Why ?
Designing cool rail setups and junctions is a part of the game. Not being able to place signals on curved rails is an arbitrary and annoying restriction (from a gameplay perspective). It would be excellent to lift this restriction. Signal spacing is crucial when designing an efficient junction because it allows you to plan buffers perfectly, and so on.

For example,

The light blue rail block would be much better if I could place a signal where the arrow is pointing, but instead the closest a train can stop without entering the block is almost a whole car length away. This is annoying because that rail block would ideally be as compact as possible to increase throughput.

Lifting this restriction will enable creative and beautiful designs that work better and are more streamlined. I recognize that there are probably valid game design / programming reasons why this hasn't been implemented yet, but I still think it warrants some consideration given the benefits.

This change would not take away from the existing game at all and should not break existing designs or blueprints. It would be a purely positive addition to the game.

plussantana
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Add a signal connection point in the middle of curved rails (please!)

Post by plussantana »

imagine the confusion that would bring the curved rails and signals.and imagine the beginner gamer. interact with railways and signals its complicated.

plussantana
Inserter
Inserter

Post by plussantana »

Tienes la razon, pero piensa tambien que para ver el sistema de railes y semaforos tienes que replanearte los segmentos (porque los semafororos te dividen la via en segmentos los cuales no pueden ser coincidentes).tienes que replanearte todo. aunque. YES . a mi me gustaria ver como quedan las optimizaciones en cuanto a espacio en el terreno con respecto a las vias multiples (please translate this because my translater is broken)

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

plussantana wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:25 pm
imagine the confusion that would bring the curved rails and signals.and imagine the beginner gamer. interact with railways and signals its complicated.
It can be disabled by default, but you can it enable in settings or by the mod.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

plussantana wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:29 pm
(please translate this because my translater is broken)
link
translation wrote:You are right, but also think that to see the system of rails and traffic lights you have to rethink the segments (because traffic lights divide your way into segments which cannot be coincident) .You have to rethink everything. though. AND IT IS . I would like to see how the optimizations are in terms of space on the ground with respect to multiple routes

plussantana
Inserter
Inserter

Post by plussantana »

thanks
You are right, but also think that to see the system of rails and traffic lights you have to rethink the segments (because traffic lights divide your way into segments which cannot be coincident) .You have to rethink everything. though. AND IT IS . I would like to see how the optimizations are in terms of space on the ground with respect to multiple routes

Septimus ii
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Septimus ii »

This would be great, and I don't see any problems technically or for new players. These signals would act identically to current signals. The only difficulty is the requirement for new models of signals at new angles.

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

+1 for rail signals in the center of curved rails. Would make designing complicated intersections and crossings much easier.

thaisantrongoi
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

You simply can't place

Post by thaisantrongoi »

You simply can't place signals on curved rails when the arrows are pointing because there are no connection points. It would be useful to have at least one signal connection point (in the center of the curved piece) on curved rail pieces.

There are some very conveniently located grid points where these signals could be placed:

https://i.imgur.com/Z6jIGEI.png

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged into older topic with same suggestion.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

coppercoil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: You simply can't place

Post by coppercoil »

thaisantrongoi wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:39 am
You simply can't place signals on curved rails when the arrows are pointing because there are no connection points.
Why not? Why do you think connection points are needed for signals?
I can believe that link to connection point is just simplier due to current implementation. And maybe this approach can be expanded, just some developing effort needed. That's normal to put some effort for some result. I would like to have signals in the middle.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”