Changing train stop names, the screen should filter the list when typing at the top

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

mrbaggins
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Changing train stop names, the screen should filter the list when typing at the top

Post by mrbaggins »

TL;DR
When changing train stop names, the list that shows should be filtered like the train schedule search box is.

What ?
There is a screen with a list of train stops when you change the name of a train stop. This is very useful if you want to re-use an existing train stop name, but massively becomes less useful as you have more stop names. It should be filtered based on the text you start to type so that you can partially type a station name, then click on a matching one to fill the text box. Single click to fill the text box, allowing small changes, double click or Click > confirm / Enter to actually lock it in.
Why ?
Having hundreds or thousands of different named stations makes the list that pops up almost useless. For example, using the scroll bar by dragging goes past more than one screen of stop names for my current modded run. If I want to copy an existing station name exactly, I've either got to type it from memory, or drag to roughly the right spot then mouse wheel up or down.

Filtering would massively speed up this process.

mrbaggins
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Changing train stop names, the screen should filter the list when typing at the top

Post by mrbaggins »

No feedback? I thought this was something "so obvious no one realised it needed to happen til they heard it"

NoxiousPluK
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Changing train stop names, the screen should filter the list when typing at the top

Post by NoxiousPluK »

This gets a +1 from me; really good idea. I'm having the same troubles and I'm at a lot less stations than you.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I think this is not so supported, because most people just copy the station name via shift-rmb/shift-lmb. Not sure if really like so.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

mrbaggins
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by mrbaggins »

That's not the problem to solve (well, it's just one problem that it solves).

Copy-paste works when 2 specific other conditions are met: One, you KNOW you want the same name as something else in the network; and Two: You are close by the other one.

Filtering the name box is useful when:

* You're making "Iron Mine 7" but don't know what number you're up to. Start typing "Iron mine" and see what already exists
* You're not sure if you already have a station with a certain name. If I start typing "Blue circuits" and no stations pop up, it's a nice convenient double check
* I want to name this station using the emoji icon names the same as something complicated like [Blue-Circuit] Depot - [Iron-plate] Drop without knowing or wanting to type the whole thing out again.

Demosthenex
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Demosthenex »

Take my upvote, +1.

I have 600+ stations in Pyanodon's. Filtering the list as I type would be a huge timesaver, if nothing else to help me fill in the name with like stations.

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

+1 for this as well

Sometimes I forget where other stations with the same name are or there is no radar coverage (going via map view is inconvenient anyway).

Also depending on the pattern you use to name your stations this would be really helpful to get a quick overview how many stations you have that provide or require some item.
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

Demosthenex
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Demosthenex »

In my current Pyanodon's playthrough I have over 1200 train stops and 600 trains. Adding a new station often requires scrolling through a HUGE list to find similarly named stations to start from. It would save tons of effort if the entry widget would filter the list of station names to like items. Then I could pick one and complete the customization in text.

wookz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by wookz »

Demosthenex wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:08 am
In my current Pyanodon's playthrough I have over 1200 train stops and 600 trains. Adding a new station often requires scrolling through a HUGE list to find similarly named stations to start from. It would save tons of effort if the entry widget would filter the list of station names to like items. Then I could pick one and complete the customization in text.
+1 from me, for exactly this reason. This is way easier than trying to find another station somewhere else in the map to copy from.

TheoMarque
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TheoMarque »

+1 for me, is it only one place that can not filter list

Amarula
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Amarula »

+1 this would be great
My own personal Factorio super-power - running out of power.

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

This has not been implemented exactly as it was requested but as of 1.1.0 it it possible to search the list of stations when renaming a station.
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

moved to implemented— ssilk

If there are essential features missing make a new suggestion...
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”