Train schedule: Need way to fast replace stop and/or copy+paste criteria

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

mrbaggins
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Train schedule: Need way to fast replace stop and/or copy+paste criteria

Post by mrbaggins »

TL;DR
There is currently no way to change a stop in a train schedule without losing the attached criteria. Relatedly, there is no way to copy and paste criteria between stops in the list (or between those in multiple trains)
What ?
The biggest problem I have with my 500 train and 1000 stop base is that 99% of my trains have the exact same criteria, except for the stop name. We need a way to change out which station the criteria below it apply to without removing all the criteria. Much like assemblers have a little "reset" arrow to change the recipe, the station name should have one allowing us to change the station without changing the criteria.

A related change would be the ability to copy-paste criteria. Whether it's an entire station's criteria in the schedule, or even copying at the "AND / OR" level to catch everything under said logical operator. Both solve the same problem in different ways.
Why ?
This becomes more important the "cleverer" your criteria are, as redoing the entire thing is a gigantic pain in the arse and promotes "simple" schedules over clever ones. The devs have shown that "clever" is definitely something they aim to promote, but this directly prevents doing so.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Train schedule: Need way to fast replace stop and/or copy+paste criteria

Post by ssilk »

What about this:

Currently the wait conditions are added to the train stop. What if the wait condition could be dragged out of the station context as an extra entry?
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

gGeorg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by gGeorg »

For this scale of operation I would recomend Lines as Transport fever does. Or groups as OTTD does.
So you can easy mass change targets and destinations.
e.g. create an object/data structucture containing the route plan. Then attach route plan to vehicles.
Serious workload for a developer.

mrbaggins
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by mrbaggins »

ssilk wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:11 am
Currently the wait conditions are added to the train stop. What if the wait condition could be dragged out of the station context as an extra ent
The problem with that is that you need some way of being able to drag multiple conditions at once. Whether that's shift/Ctrl select (but that's not implemented in game at all currently) or something else.

It would be a beneficial change for a LOT of people, but as I described, it still is mainly benefiting the basic usage, not the clever/complicated one.

BenSeidel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BenSeidel »

I came here to up-vote this idea because changing trains from Iron 30 to Iron 35 etc is becoming annoying. So don't take the below as "It's not needed" - because it really is!

For a short-term solution use blueprints.
For the example I'll use an iron mining operation.

Blueprint a "template" train setup to go to a station named "Mining X" and deliver to "Refining X". This should contain all the conditions required.

To start a mining operation:
When you want to send a train somewhere stamp down the train and two stops. Name one stop "Mining X" and the other "Refining X". After the required train(s) are built rename the stops to whatever you want the trains to go to. Now pick up the temporary stops.

To stop a mining operation:
rename the mining trains stop to "graveyard" and pick up the stop. At the dedicated graveyard stacker use a filtered deconstruction planner to deconstruct the trains for re-appropriation.

I personally don't like this method too much as it has the drawback of the train losing all it's stats. Killed a player? Nope! not any more!

andreinafactory
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by andreinafactory »

mrbaggins wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:50 pm
The biggest problem I have with my 500 train and 1000 stop base is that 99% of my trains have the exact same criteria, except for the stop name.
I have the exact same use case, so I've been working on a mod to make this easier. I just posted it at https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Blueprint-Editor

I also use item icons in my stop names, so this makes it much easier to add new smelting/production/etc block factories.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Andreinafactory: Very cool and ambitious. :)

Robak
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Robak »

There is much simpler solution to our problem here. RMB on station that is already existing in schedule, could open stations list so we could choose new one to replace old without changing conditions. LMB is already taken, because right now when we press LMB on train station in schedule, it centers train map on station. I actually wanted to create new topic for this problem before I found this one. I fully support that we need some kind of solution for that.

macdjord
Inserter
Inserter

Post by macdjord »

+1 on copy/paste within a schedule. I use automated deliver-on-need trains for my outpost supplies, which means I have a lot of trains which have a schedule consisting of one loading station and then many identical copies of the drop-off station, and it's tedious setting the same set of departure conditions on all the copies.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Change train stop in train schedule condition

Post by steinio »

Hej,

can we please have the possibility to change the train stop directly in the schedule?

Now, you add a train stop, set conditions and let it go.
If you need the same conditions in another train but with an other train stop, you have to create it from scratch.

Copy/pasting it to the other train and just change the train stop will save time and labour.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

merged with existing topic — ssilk

LoneWolf_LWP
Inserter
Inserter

change train scheduled station but keep conditions

Post by LoneWolf_LWP »

TL;DR
change train scheduled station but keep conditions

What ?
The possibilty to change a train scheduled station but keep all the conditions
Why ?
Most of the times I copy over trains that have the same schedule just different stations.
As it is now i have to add all the new stations and set all the conditions again. then delete the old scheduled stops that where excatly the same, just a different station names.

pichutarius
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: change train scheduled station but keep conditions

Post by pichutarius »

+1
thank you for suggesting this.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged into older thread on the same sugject.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”